OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats safe agreed.

*it can still cloud for days though if unrinsed, but only in about 5% of cases. in 95% of cases it clears in a day or two. on page one of our thread we collected about fifteen examples where new unrinsed sand totally opaqued out the tank and had to be redone (first pic in the thread)

it's taking a risk not to pre rinse, but only about a 5% one :) when using new sand. new sand was a good move. if the wrasse dives in it, expect recurring clouding for a good while but it's just cosmetic / does not crash reefs like old sand clouding does.
More than likely, I will pre-rents, there’s no reason to take any more risks after everything my life stock will be going through

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are doing two brand new jobs in the sand rinse thread and they will be using new sand

we are for sure pre rinsing them even though that seems like a waste of time. it's how we get and keep perfect results on every page, all the time. not pre rinsing sand = this risk:

tappp.jpeg

pdxmonkeyboy opaqued tank. that's new sand from a bag marked 'no rinse required' from caribsea. taken from a post about why unrinsed new sand clouds so badly for some. the majority of bags don't do that, but some do, pre test in a cup to know how you want the display to look once you fill it all up.

another reason we pre rinse: when you set up the new tank if it goes cloudy independent from the sand that's a signal of a cycle, something went wrong in your transfer steps, and the clouding gives you time to intervene

if you purposefully cloud up your water with unrinsed sand, we immediately lose the ability to gauge clear water as a skip cycle proof. not rinsing only has risks, it requires luck vs command to win.

rinsing is commanding a win every single time.
Definitely thinking that I will pre-rinse mine before I start adding things to the aquarium. Once it’s finally here and set up, I think the corals would rather stay in their temporary home a little longer once set up then have to deal with a super cloudy tank.

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are doing two brand new jobs in the sand rinse thread and they will be using new sand

we are for sure pre rinsing them even though that seems like a waste of time. it's how we get and keep perfect results on every page, all the time. not pre rinsing sand = this risk:

tappp.jpeg

pdxmonkeyboy opaqued tank. that's new sand from a bag marked 'no rinse required' from caribsea. taken from a post about why unrinsed new sand clouds so badly for some. the majority of bags don't do that, but some do, pre test in a cup to know how you want the display to look once you fill it all up.

another reason we pre rinse: when you set up the new tank if it goes cloudy independent from the sand that's a signal of a cycle, something went wrong in your transfer steps, and the clouding gives you time to intervene

if you purposefully cloud up your water with unrinsed sand, we immediately lose the ability to gauge clear water as a skip cycle proof. not rinsing only has risks, it requires luck vs command to win.

rinsing is commanding a win every single time.
Adorable security by the way lol

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulkheads aren't carrying the pressure that seals do

saltwater slowly erodes epoxy after setting as well. goes brittle over time = cracks

Amy

take some of the new sand and put it in a clean cup of water, that's what the tank will do upon fill

you can at least know a little about the clouding with a cup test vs just hoping for compliance. not getting compliance and getting a ten day cloud on new sand would be heartbreaking...rinsing solves that, for eight straight years we did perfect setups using this back alley rule.
epoxy resin is 100% saltwater resistant and has tons of marine applications in commercial and industrial. For example, those things that float in the ocean, boats.

i sealed the whole bottom, not the bulkhead.

looks like Amy went with a new tank, congrats!

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I’ve been so busy trying to get a stock tank set up and now I’m just heartbroken because I lost so much, I lost all of my fish, but the two clown fish and I am waiting to see whether or not my Colorado is going to leave hospice or whether things are worse for it than I thought, everything‘s either dead or melted, I’m just in shock and speechless

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3B123B6C-BAB8-44EF-B3AB-448B7E5395E4.jpeg
130472A0-5D9C-4F58-85B1-5C077461C987.jpeg 28522E48-D940-4299-9C16-9D0DA845036F.jpeg BDD50762-1A24-432C-8429-DD0E7226C087.jpeg Just have no idea what to say, in the short, four years that I’ve been doing this, it’s just never happened to me

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is legit ammonia poisoning. ammonia happens in low surface area holding systems and acts on all the animals vs just one or two. so sorry, that's so hard to keep them alive in water with no filtration for ammonia backup

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is legit ammonia poisoning. ammonia happens in low surface area holding systems and acts on all the animals vs just one or two. so sorry, that's so hard to keep them alive in water with no filtration for ammonia backup
Well, I was able to get the stock tank from my LRS and they checked my numbers and ammonia had spiked so incredibly high overnight, I’m hoping now that it’s had a complete water change and I’ll be doing water changes every day now that it will level out and everything that has survived. Will stay alive.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm checking with chemists in the chem forum to future ensure better holding fish emergency setups less likely to crash in case we see more of these events

It doesn't help those animals am aware but it will help drive studies that save future ones when reliable methods arrive, did the best we could given the timeframe

None of this killed your cycle bacteria if it's any help. The rocks can be cleaned and set back on clean sand for a continuance, no bottle bac no additives required

For example, any common pet store would have recommended you buy and use Prime to detox ammonia but the very thing the chemists discovered here is that prime doesn't remove ammonia its a sales gimmick and they're brainstorming currently what would best handle ammonia given your emergency timing and holding conditions for the fish
Use of prime would have still killed them, they're searching for better ways

Here's the thread

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish held with the rocks all together or separate in the tote/ no rocks

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm checking with chemists in the chem forum to future ensure better holding fish emergency setups less likely to crash in case we see more of these events

It doesn't help those animals am aware but it will help drive studies that save future ones when reliable methods arrive, did the best we could given the timeframe

None of this killed your cycle bacteria if it's any help. The rocks can be cleaned and set back on clean sand for a continuance, no bottle bac no additives required

For example, any common pet store would have recommended you buy and use Prime to detox ammonia but the very thing the chemists discovered here is that prime doesn't remove ammonia its a sales gimmick and they're brainstorming currently what would best handle ammonia given your emergency timing and holding conditions for the fish
Use of prime would have still killed them, they're searching for better ways

Here's the thread
I am keeping all that in mind. Well I’m going through this process. Wc, Wc,wc

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there motion to keep water going or was still/ heating was in place too correct

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back