Under Aquarium heating for Pico or nano aquariums?

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I am looking at the viability of 3D printing a base for smaller aquariums and having heater modules and fans fitted within it, creating a controlled temperature difference to the glass underneath the aquarium. The idea comes from working on my own micro controller based aquarium, and if everything can run off the same DC supply of power, then adding a battery based UPS into the project would be really easy.

Heater Module.jpg

Naturally designing an internal aquarium heater would be a risky process, and going with a normal AC heater on a solid state relay would result in no heating during a power cut.

The Question:

With such a small aquarium (Upto Fluval EVO), how important is complete support on the base of the aquarium?

EVO & Edge for example have very basic basis.

Do you think this idea has major issues?

Float glass seems to be okay up to 40c temperature difference. In my design a 100x100mm PCB will be heated with a thermistor in the middle, and then a radial fan will blow over this to create a chamber temperature. The heating parts themselves would have no direct contact to the aquarium glass. Underneath will be a 3D printed section and try and discourage heat loss through this way. Being a chamber underneath the aquarium the air flow being heated is a pocket of air. The thermistor would relay the temperature to a micro controller which would also have a reading externally as well to make sure the temperature difference is within a safe region.

I'm sure to most, many will wonder why bother with all this? I just enjoy these kind of projects and if I can have an entire system which is controlled by a micro controller and has a battery backup for nano and pico tanks, that would be super helpful as it is my preferred aquarium size.

- Paul

PS - To Moderators - If there is a better location for this, please move or remove and let me know. Thanks!

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I am looking at the viability of 3D printing a base for smaller aquariums and having heater modules and fans fitted within it, creating a controlled temperature difference to the glass underneath the aquarium. The idea comes from working on my own micro controller based aquarium, and if everything can run off the same DC supply of power, then adding a battery based UPS into the project would be really easy.

Heater Module.jpg

Naturally designing an internal aquarium heater would be a risky process, and going with a normal AC heater on a solid state relay would result in no heating during a power cut.

The Question:

With such a small aquarium (Upto Fluval EVO), how important is complete support on the base of the aquarium?

EVO & Edge for example have very basic basis.

Do you think this idea has major issues?

Float glass seems to be okay up to 40c temperature difference. In my design a 100x100mm PCB will be heated with a thermistor in the middle, and then a radial fan will blow over this to create a chamber temperature. The heating parts themselves would have no direct contact to the aquarium glass. Underneath will be a 3D printed section and try and discourage heat loss through this way. Being a chamber underneath the aquarium the air flow being heated is a pocket of air. The thermistor would relay the temperature to a micro controller which would also have a reading externally as well to make sure the temperature difference is within a safe region.

I'm sure to most, many will wonder why bother with all this? I just enjoy these kind of projects and if I can have an entire system which is controlled by a micro controller and has a battery backup for nano and pico tanks, that would be super helpful as it is my preferred aquarium size.

- Paul

PS - To Moderators - If there is a better location for this, please move or remove and let me know. Thanks!
This is complicated not sure what to do here...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 7.9%
Back