Thermal tango in your tank: Does the temperature fluctuate in your reef aquarium?

Does the temperature fluctuate in your reef aquarium?

• The temperature in my tank fluctuates daily.

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • The temperature in my tank fluctuates seasonally,

Votes: 46 19.2%
  • The temperature in my tank does not fluctuate.

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thermal tango in your tank: Does the temperature fluctuate in your reef aquarium?

We know that wild reefs in the oceans do not maintain a constant temperature, most reef keepers try to maintain stability in their tanks included a stable temperature. Most fish and corals have maximum and minimum temperature recommendations; however, the allowable temperature flexibility is not as commonly discussed. This change in temperature could be daily, weekly, annually, or even randomly. You may be able to track the changes with an aquarium controller such as a Neptune Apex, GHL ProfiLux, or Hydros Control. The changes in temperature may be due to variations in the heating and air conditioning patterns affecting the air around the tank as well as the seasonal changes in temperature that may also impact the ambient air around the aquarium. For you, does the temperature fluctuate in your reef aquarium? Is this something that you pay attention to, and do you know how much (if any) the temperature fluctuates? Please let us know your thoughts in the related discussion thread.

vetteguy53081_HannaMarineMonitor.png

Photo by @vetteguy53081

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted seasonal, but not likely as expected.

I kept temp steady, but had it a bit higher in winter and lower in summer to allow more leeway if a power failure hit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes daily, I don't know how it wouldn't unless you're whole house is kept at a constant temperature.

Screenshot_20240321_091129_APEXFusion.jpg

And if the power goes out in New England... Oh boy!

I had a dynasense temperature controller (2 actually) that controlled heaters and in the summer, cooling water, that kept the tank +/- 0.1 deg F. Was that useful or necessary, or even undesirable? Not sure, but it did not require any more effort on my part than a wider range would have.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes daily, I don't know how it wouldn't unless you're whole house is kept at a constant temperature.

Screenshot_20240321_091129_APEXFusion.jpg

And if the power goes out in New England... Oh boy!
I would also personally consider that temp stable.
That’s only a 1° difference
and almost no heater will ever keep a tank of any real size at a more steady temp than that.

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My 350 only has a heater... so it's largely dependant on surrounding air.

My BioCube does not have a heater, but it's covered and apparently has some hot devices (pump, two powerheads, etc.) that keep it warm.

But they both fluctuate a few degrees per day.

1711030321426.png

1711030333372.png

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220 stays between 76.5-77.5 24/7 right now. Ive actually been thinking of programming in some wider variance in temp from day to night and seasonally as well to make the corals a little more resilient and able to handle it if something does happen to the tank and there is a temp shift not intended by me. not sure yet though since things are doing great as is..... :thinking-face:

Bobby H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We know that wild reefs in the oceans do not maintain a constant temperature, most reef keepers try to maintain stability in their tanks included a stable temperature. Most fish and corals have maximum and minimum temperature recommendations; however, the allowable temperature flexibility is not as commonly discussed. This change in temperature could be daily, weekly, annually, or even randomly. You may be able to track the changes with an aquarium controller such as a Neptune Apex, GHL ProfiLux, or Hydros Control. The changes in temperature may be due to variations in the heating and air conditioning patterns affecting the air around the tank as well as the seasonal changes in temperature that may also impact the ambient air around the aquarium. For you, does the temperature fluctuate in your reef aquarium? Is this something that you pay attention to, and do you know how much (if any) the temperature fluctuates? Please let us know your thoughts in the related discussion thread.

vetteguy53081_HannaMarineMonitor.png

Photo by @vetteguy53081

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"
My temp fluctuates between 79 and 80 w my heater

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has only been up and running about 9 months. Tank came with a lid that had built in lights and temps fluctuated 3° to 4° daily the first couple of months. After many attempts trying different things to keep it more stable, I ditched the lid and now temp swings less than 1° daily. Mid 77° to low 78° range.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
temps will fluctuate daily. i believe this occurs in every tank. the job of our controllers is to keep it as close to the desired temp as possible with as much stability/consistency as possible.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I added a chiller my temp would go from 76.8 to 82 due to the heat produced by reefi uno in a canopy, even with multiple fans. Since adding a chiller the range is 76.8 to 77.8 daily.

tetonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting that this came up today. I just got the Sicce contactless heater to try their eco mode to see if that will hold a more even temp than the inkbird. If so I will set the inkbird as a backup shutoff if the temp gets too high.
I will post my findings in a couple days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back