Aquarium flow help/particulate in water

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a problem getting my water clean. The water is clear but I have a lot of particulate floating around in it. I can't seem to get rid of it. It just stays suspended in the water column and won't away. I do run filter socks that I clean 1-2 times a week. I am including a diagram of my flow, sorry for the crappy pic. My over flow is offset in the back and have 2 returns going both directions across the back glass. I have 2 rossmont powerheads pointing toward the front glass, and an MP 40 on the side going across the tank. I just never see any of the particulate get skimmed and go into the overflow box. It's always in the water column. Any suggestions will be tried, thanks.
IMG_2993.JPG

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to test your mag levels .. from what I read might just be precipitation cause MG lvl off. I personally try to keep around 1300 to 1400.if MG is off the kh and calcium bond.. if this is not the issue you could run some carbon

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sounds like your water chemistry. Tests will need to be done to help you move forward on this problem

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think it's chemistry. It doesn't get worse or better, just stays with a lot of particulate in the water column. Never makes it up to be skimmed.
Salinity 1.024
Temp 78.0
PO4 .08
NO3 10
Cal 400
Mag 1300
Alk 8.2

All with Red Sea pro

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow could possibly be to much and it's just stirring up stuff from the bottum,you could try turning the mp 40 off and see if it may be stirring up stuff from the bottum.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don't see how it could be related to chemistry either

I would say it's ur sand getting kicked up and is to heavy to go over the overflow that's the problem with running to much flow happened to me as well it will eventually settle in a month or two or I can adjust ur powerheads.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to blame the sandbed can we verify its clouding potential

knowing your own sandbed, if you reached in and grabbed a giant handful, and dropped it down, would it mass cloud

we have a large thread where we like to cure sandbeds of that condition so naturally im trying to take apart everyones reef for fun and after pictures.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem in a bb 90 since I switched 2 months ago from my 40. Driving me freaking nuts lol. My mag , alk and Calc are spot on and have used multiple test kits to rule that out.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not micro bubbles, because the particulate is not round. Its just stuff in the tank that cannot make its way to the surface to be skimmed. That's why I was curious how others dealt with the problem. Do I need more return flow?

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turning off your flow and looking for where the sediment settles might help. It will at least show where you're not getting enough flow to force it into your filter system. Do you have any power heads pointing towards the surface? In my mind, they would help force particles to the top, stay there due to surface tension, and then be removed by your overflow.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Brandon about thoroughly rinsing your sand to avoid problems like this. I have a new BB tank and this is also happening to me. I'm making progress putting lots of filter floss in the middle chamber of my sump and skimming wetter than normal.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happening here,,,just as of recent...
Gonna turn off mp10 bottom rear of tank and see if different.
Take it from there...

Back