Aquarium mats

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Are aquarium mats helpful for tanks that have a framed bottom like the aqueon ones from Petco? Thank you!

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave the mat completely out.
In time just collects salt dirt and dust and hard to keep clean.
Cant see how any mat adds to stability.
Tank to the wood, stand flat to the floor, no legs.

OP
OP
rafa1993

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave the mat completely out.
In time just collects salt dirt and dust and hard to keep clean.
Cant see how any mat adds to stability.
Tank to the wood, stand flat to the floor, no legs.
Thank you for the response! I built a long table to sit a couple tanks, but wasn’t sure if the tanks needed any extra support between them and the wood once I found out about “self leveling” mats. I assume as long as the tank is completely level, it’s good to go?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response! I built a long table to sit a couple tanks, but wasn’t sure if the tanks needed any extra support between them and the wood once I found out about “self leveling” mats. I assume as long as the tank is completely level, it’s good to go?
I would agree with you.

The mat cannot auto compensate for levelling issues.
It would just be squished flat by weight of waters, evenly over the surface area of the stand top.

It’s best the floor is level, the stand is level, this should ensure the tank is level, but check that anyways to be sure.

Really could not find a purpose for tank mats, have not been part of my setups for a decade.

OP
OP
rafa1993

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with you.

The mat cannot auto compensate for levelling issues.
It would just be squished flat by weight of waters, evenly over the surface area of the stand top.

It’s best the floor is level, the stand is level, this should ensure the tank is level, but check that anyways to be sure.

Really could not find a purpose for tank mats, have not been part of my setups for a decade.
IMG_4779.jpeg

The level seems to be ever so slightly to the right, do you think this would cause any issues down the line?

forge55b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason would be frameless. With a frame, I don't see much benefit unless the stand top is rough.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On its own, no, but when the tank is on and water in, you may notice the difference at water surface, and you can’t level the tank itself, it MUST remain absolutely flat to the stand. If it doesn’t bug you that your water looks tilted, structurally I see no issue.

The difference is minor. Is it possible to “shim” the stand bottom just a hair to create perfect level. I’m guessing it’s say 1/16th” out. A mat can’t fix that.

This way when tank is on and full of water, we expect the water surface to be level. Rimless tanks it will be very noticeable. Frames, not so much depending on your water level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rafa1993

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On its own, no, but when the tank is on and water in, you may notice the difference at water surface, and you can’t level the tank itself. That would have unfortunate outcome.

The difference is minor. Is it possible to “shim” the stand bottom just a hair to create perfect level.

This way when tank is on and full of water, we expect the water surface to be
Hmmm, the tricky part would finding something that thin that wouldn’t cause an issue since it would only sit on half of the aquarium.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used these (or something similar):

under my rimmed tanks, mostly so I don’t have to paint the bottom (bare bottom tanks for me), but really not needed.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, the tricky part would finding something that thin that wouldn’t cause an issue since it would only sit on half of the aquarium.
No, not under the tank, that’s gotta go flat, if not, you’re subject to glass failure.

Can you level stand on floor?

OP
OP
rafa1993

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not under the tank, that’s gotta go flat, if not, you’re subject to glass failure.

Can you level stand on floor?
The issue was me messing up on construction of the table, the bottom is perfectly leveled, but I messed up slightly on the top where the tabletop sits. The stand itself is super sturdy and made out of 2x4s with an oak top. I will add, the tanks are only 20gal tall tanks. Not sure if it’ll be a huge difference at that size.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue was me messing up on construction of the table, the bottom is perfectly leveled, but I messed up slightly on the top where the tabletop sits. The stand itself is super sturdy and made out of 2x4s with an oak top. I will add, the tanks are only 20gal tall tanks. Not sure if it’ll be a huge difference at that size.
In agree with you, 20G likely won’t see much, nor would I expect any issues. It’s the longer tanks where a little out might look a lot out.

You would have to shim the stand bottom to level the top and that might look odd on the floor, so go as is and let’s see if you’re happy with the result, if not, at 20g, easy to change.

OP
OP
rafa1993

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these (or something similar):

under my rimmed tanks, mostly so I don’t have to paint the bottom (bare bottom tanks for me), but really not needed.
Thank you for the info!

OP
OP
rafa1993

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In agree with you, 20G likely won’t see much, nor would I expect any issues. It’s the longer tanks where a little out might look a lot out.

You would have to shim the stand bottom to level the top and that might look odd on the floor, so go as is and let’s see if you’re happy with the result, if not, at 20g, easy to change.
I feel like I’m just overthinking it, but I will definitely make sure that in when we do a big tank, it’s flush as possible. This is our first salt water tank, so we started small to keep the cost down.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I’m just overthinking it, but I will definitely make sure that in when we do a big tank, it’s flush as possible. This is our first salt water tank, so we started small to keep the cost down.
My first reef was a 20g.
Perfect place to start IMM.
Then 65g, now 180 below.

Cost of this hobby can be much, or, not as much.
I lowered my costs a ton by:

-using Amazon LED lights (which grow everything) 150 per light delivered.

-using everything Jebao (which continue to run after 5/years) wavemakers, returns, gyres, dosers which typically sell for 1/2 to 2/3 the big players.
Enjoy! IMG_2019.jpeg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back