Aquarium Parts List Help!

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

After my welcome post to R2R, I want to jump straight into starting to pick the equipment for my first ever saltwater reef tank. My plan is to have a 120-gallon fish tank that is 48X24X24” by SC Aquariums. Next year I am moving to Washington State, where I will start the tank. Meaning I have a year to purchase parts for the tank, giving me the opportunity to splurge on nicer equipment. I would rather spend money on good equipment now than paying for failed equipment later.

I did not put the ato system and the controller as I am fairly confident about where I am going with that. In addition, I left out some other parts i.e pumps for reactors as I am confident with my picks and I do not want to waste your time.

I have a lot of questions on what equipment to pick, two-part dosing vs calcium reactor. What lights to chose for the best coral growth. I am very excited to hear everyone’s input on the matter. Thank you all for taking the time to give advice!

Parts List:

Tank: SC Aquarium 120 Gallon

Lights: 2 X Radion XR30W

Lights: 48" HYBRID T5HO 4X54W FIXTURE WITH LED MOUNTING SYSTEM (See Lights Section of this Forum Post)

Powerhead: 2 X Vortech MP40WQD (See Powerhead Section of this Forum Post)

Heater: ??? (See Heater Section of this Forum Post)

Sump: Synergy Reef CL-44 Sump

Skimmer: NYOS Quantum 160

GFO: Reef Octopus Media Filter 4” Chamber

Carbon: Reef Octopus Media Filter 4” Chamber

Biopellet: BR-140 Biopellet Reactor (See Biopellet Reactor Section of this Forum Post)

Calcium Reactor vs Two Part: See Calcium Reactor vs Two Part Section of this Forum Post

Refugium Light: Kessil H380

Return Pump: Neptune System COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump(2000 GPH)

Lights - The future reef tank I have determined will be SPS dominate and want to have lights that will truly increase coral growth. Currently, I am trying to figure out with the two Radion XR30W should I also have additional T5 lighting? Would the additional PAR help with coral growth, or be an unneeded expense? For the T5 Lighting fixture, I was looking at 48" HYBRID T5HO 4X54W FIXTURE WITH LED MOUNTING SYSTEM as a potential option to add with the Radion XR30W.

Powerhead: I already purchased one MP40WQD from an R2R member. Will one powerhead provide enough circulation for a 120-gallon reef tank? Or will I benefit from having two MP40WQD?

Heater: I have been reading horror stories of a heater failing and heating the fish tank to 90 degrees - killing all of the livestock in the tank. What heaters have you used and have had a positive experience with/would work with a 120-gallon fish tank.

Biopellet: If I understand it right a bio pellet reactor, act as steroids for beneficial bacteria growth within the system. Biopellets also remove nitrates that can lead to coral death and algae bloom. Is it worth investing in a reactor?

Calcium Reactor vs Two Part: I am looking for the advice on which system to go with. If I went with Two Part Dosing I want to use the Triton Method as I like the idea of not needing to do water changes whilst providing the tank with needed nutrients. However, I like the calcium reactor as it will be more economical over time and it will maintain calcium/alkalinity levels without the swings of two-part dosing. Or is it beneficial to go with both a calcium reactor and a two-part system?

TL;DR - me too ;)

But seriously thanks for taking time out of your day to help me! This forum is such a nice place to learn. Also if you have concerns with equipment that I didn't mention in a separate category, please feel free to give your input.

Reeceblse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as your skimmer choice goes, I havent had any experience with the nyos equipment but I recently bought a reef octopus skimmer and was quite impressed at the quality. Also havent heard many bad things about the reef octopus equipment and ive been researching for the past three years or so before starting with my build. You will most certainly need more flow in an sps dominate tank. If i remember correctly the suggestion was like 40+ times turnover. And you should definitely check out the videos within brs 52 weeks of reefing. They will help to answer most of your questions about lighting and calcium reactors vs. two part.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... Lots to think about here. I'm going to give you a few general suggestions if it were me building your tank. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
1st.. decide what type of tank you plan to have. LPS, SPS, mixed etc.
2nd.. based on the decision from question #1 you can make an informed choice.

For me, I would (and did) go SPS. LPS is fine, and Mixed is harder than it looks.

Based on MY decision, I would ditch the BioPellet reactor. IMO, they are a time bomb and many who previously used them are moving away..
As for Calcium Reactor vs dosing, dosing is probably a better bet until you get a well established tank with a larger demand for "The Big 2". A calcium reactor is probably overkill for at least a year.
A heater seems redundant, but is a necessary piece of equipment when it gets cold. They DO fail, and cheap insurance is to replace it annually.
As for the MP's, at least 2. Based on MY prior decision for an SPS tank, there is no such thing as too much flow.
All of the above would also stand true (except the too much flow part) in an LPS and mixed tank.
Best of luck in your build!! I also agree with you that buying the best you can 1st time round is the best course of action.
Keep the questions coming!!!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium Reactor vs Two Part: I am looking for the advice on which system to go with. If I went with Two Part Dosing I want to use the Triton Method as I like the idea of not needing to do water changes whilst providing the tank with needed nutrients. However, I like the calcium reactor as it will be more economical over time and it will maintain calcium/alkalinity levels without the swings of two-part dosing. Or is it beneficial to go with both a calcium reactor and a two-part system?

Hi , my advice would be too start with triton-and then later when triton doesn’t become cost effective switch too a calcium reactor .. that will give you a year or so aleast too buy one , unless you plan too fill the tank with colonies straight away !!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two, maybe three, Radion 30s over a tank that size, if you're interested in SPS. Plus a bank of T5s. I like the hybrid fixture myself, and they're probably coming out with an updated version some time. Two MP40s at a minimum, you'll probably want another smaller powerhead or two for spot flow. Heaters - I like the EJs, get two, keep them in a 'no touch' area of the sump. About as tried and true as anything out there. Do you have an Apex or other controller? If so, control the EJs with that, and set their internal thermostats just slightly higher; you can have very tight control and multiple failsafe features. Skimmer - I have a friend who likes the Nyos. I like the Eshopps S-200 for many reasons, not the least of which is how easy they are to service (also the transparent venturi; lets me know at a glance if a snail or starfish has somehow gotten stuck in there.) I use two part plus kalkwasser plus CO2 scrubbing and I think I've finally hit the sweet spot, but it's fairly high maintenance, lol. (Haven't tried Triton or other similar miracle techniques.) Biopellet reactor - Have never used one but have done carbon dosing for nutrient export. Both can be similarly risky in terms of causing bacterial blooms and bottoming out nitrate/phosphate levels if not used carefully. Carbon dosing seems easier to control? Return pump - The Cor 20 seems pretty nice; are you getting a full Apex system? There are other comparable Apex-controllable or free-standing DC pumps with extra features, such as the Reef Octo VarioS 8, that you might consider.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two, maybe three, Radion 30s over a tank that size, if you're interested in SPS. Plus a bank of T5s. I like the hybrid fixture myself, and they're probably coming out with an updated version some time. Two MP40s at a minimum, you'll probably want another smaller powerhead or two for spot flow. Heaters - I like the EJs, get two, keep them in a 'no touch' area of the sump. About as tried and true as anything out there. Do you have an Apex or other controller? If so, control the EJs with that, and set their internal thermostats just slightly higher; you can have very tight control and multiple failsafe features. Skimmer - I have a friend who likes the Nyos. I like the Eshopps S-200 for many reasons, not the least of which is how easy they are to service (also the transparent venturi; lets me know at a glance if a snail or starfish has somehow gotten stuck in there.) I use two part plus kalkwasser plus CO2 scrubbing and I think I've finally hit the sweet spot, but it's fairly high maintenance, lol. (Haven't tried Triton or other similar miracle techniques.) Biopellet reactor - Have never used one but have done carbon dosing for nutrient export. Both can be similarly risky in terms of causing bacterial blooms and bottoming out nitrate/phosphate levels if not used carefully. Return pump - The Cor 20 seems pretty nice; are you getting a full Apex system? There are other comparable Apex-controllable or free-standing DC pumps with extra features, such as the Reef Octo VarioS 8, that you might consider.

Yes so my plan was to splurge and purchase the Neptune 2016 model. I was thinking to purchase if possible, I would try to purchase Neptune products when I could just for the ease of control. For the heaters thanks for the advice I will look into it. For my ATO my plan was to go with the Neptune ATK Auto Top Off System; I have read some reviews saying there are problems with the device, is it a better idea just going with Tunze ATO System. For the powerheads is a good configuration maybe 2 X Mp40s and 1 X Mp10.

Okay... Lots to think about here. I'm going to give you a few general suggestions if it were me building your tank. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
1st.. decide what type of tank you plan to have. LPS, SPS, mixed etc.
2nd.. based on the decision from question #1 you can make an informed choice.

For me, I would (and did) go SPS. LPS is fine, and Mixed is harder than it looks.

Based on MY decision, I would ditch the BioPellet reactor. IMO, they are a time bomb and many who previously used them are moving away..
As for Calcium Reactor vs dosing, dosing is probably a better bet until you get a well established tank with a larger demand for "The Big 2". A calcium reactor is probably overkill for at least a year.
A heater seems redundant, but is a necessary piece of equipment when it gets cold. They DO fail, and cheap insurance is to replace it annually.
As for the MP's, at least 2. Based on MY prior decision for an SPS tank, there is no such thing as too much flow.
All of the above would also stand true (except the too much flow part) in an LPS and mixed tank.
Best of luck in your build!! I also agree with you that buying the best you can 1st time round is the best course of action.
Keep the questions coming!!!

Alright, thanks for the advice, I want to go with an SPS dominant tank and from what I am reading it probably wants more flow... So biopellet reactors are going out of popularity, hmm thanks for that insight! Do you think the lighting configuation of two Radion XR30W is a good idea with the addition four T5s?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchase everything last that has a warranty with attached to it. Second inspect everything that you buy to make sure it is not broken. Guilty here on both accounts.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes so my plan was to splurge and purchase the Neptune 2016 model. I was thinking to purchase if possible, I would try to purchase Neptune products when I could just for the ease of control. For the heaters thanks for the advice I will look into it. For my ATO my plan was to go with the Neptune ATK Auto Top Off System; I have read some reviews saying there are problems with the device, is it a better idea just going with Tunze ATO System. For the powerheads is a good configuration maybe 2 X Mp40s and 1 X Mp10.

Alright, thanks for the advice, I want to go with an SPS dominant tank and from what I am reading it probably wants more flow... So biopellet reactors are going out of popularity, hmm thanks for that insight! Do you think the lighting configuation of two Radion XR30W is a good idea with the addition four T5s?

I've never used the Tunze, everyone says that it is rock solid. I do have two Neptune ATK systems. One has been flawless, the other had one optical sensor go bad after about 9 months; I replaced it myself without difficulty. Some people have had problems with the 'pmup' that comes with the Neptune system, such as premature failure of the impeller and electrical shorts. Some of this may have to do with people using them for dispensing kalk. I haven't had any problems with mine, both of which sit in pure RODI water.

Two Radion 30s and a bank of 4 T5s should give you plenty of light, my only concern would be regarding coverage with a tank that length and only two light modules. Might have some darkish spots. To some degree it will depend on how high you position them over the tank; the higher, the more even the coverage will be, but you lose intensity as well.

Two MP40s plus and MP 10 will give you lots of flow, in fact that's what I use on an SPS heavy tank of about that same size. I also added a Gyre for some laminar flow because I was concerned about possible low flow areas behind rocks, but if you're not going to have a lot of semi-hidden spaces behind your rockwork as I do, you probably won't need this.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction: Thanks for everyone input, I just have a few questions remaining and advice on the best options for the tank. It has been really helpful just getting experienced reefers advice/personal experience in what works/doesn't for me to further research. This is the most advanced list I have come up with to date and I am just hoping for some further advice.

For anyone new to the thread the tank will be 48X24X24" 120 Gallon fish tank. The tank will be SPS Dominant and hopefully aswell have a good amount of fish in it. I am slowly in the process of gathering parts for the build, I have already purchased the Skimmer, ATK Auto Top-Off, and finally one MP40.

Tank: SC Aquariums 120 Gallon
Controller: Apex Neptune Controller System
Light #1: Radion XR30W G4 Pro
Light #2: Radion XR30W G4 Pro
Light #3: 48" Hybrid T5HO 4X54W Fixture With LED Mounting System
Light #4: Just a Few Questions on This One
Powerhead #1: Ecotech Mp40QWD Quite Drive
Powerhead #2: Ecotech Mp40QWD Quite Drive
Powerhead #3: Ecotech Mp10QWD Quite Drive
Heater Primary: Neo-Therm Submersible Heater 300 Watts
Heater Backup: Neo-Therm Submersible Heater 300 Watts
Sump: Synergy Reef CL-44
Skimmer: Nyos 160 Quantum
GFO Reactor: Reef Octopus Media Filter 4"
Carbon Reactor: Reef Octopus Media Filter 4"
GFO/Carbon Reactor Pump: I would like to have some advice on which pump to chose
Biological Filtration: Ceramic Biomedia Plate 8X8X1" (A few Questions on these actually lol...)
Refugium Lighting: Kessil H380
Return Pump: Neptune System COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump(2000 GPH)

Two-Part Doser:
GHL 2.1 SA 4 Pump Master
Two-Part Reservoir: DLC4 Quadruple Dosing Reservoir
Two-Part Additives: Triton Core7 Base Elements

ATO Container:
Synergy Reef 10 Gallon ATO Reservoir
ATO System: Apex ATK Auto Top-Off System

Battery Backup #1:
Vortech Battery Back-up(Want to have a bit of a discussion on this)
Battery Backup #2: Vortech Battery Back-up
Battery Backup #3: Vortech Battery Back-up

Lighting: So from what I have read the Radion + T5 combo will provide a good amount of lighting but there may be some dark spots due to having just two LED Modules. I want to make sure to not to cost intensity for spread as, as configurated the lighting will cost close to 2,000 dollars. I was thinking that maybe buying two older Radion Xr30's either the Gen 3 or Gen 2 models just to lower cost. To provide spread to the darker areas of the tank. Is this idea way overkill or will it help me with my desired effect of proper spread and increased coral growth? In addition, I have a few concerns with the heat all those lights will produce.

My plan was going to set up most likely computer fans/ some other type of fan in order to cool the lights when they are ramped up during the day. Is this step a smart idea in order to lower the heat the lights produce, or is it simply unneeded expense?

Powerheads: Following the majority of peoples advice I am going from the originally planned one MP40 to two MP40s and one MP10. I think this will provide enough flow for the 120 Gallon SPS Dominant Reef Tank but if anyone has other notion please speak up!

Heater: From watching a few BRS videos I have been really impressed by Neo-Therm Submersible Heater temperature stability/accuracy. I will follow the rule to replace the heaters yearly to limit the chance of a heater failing. Has anyone used the Neo-Therm Submersible Heater and what is your impression of it?

GFO/Carbon/Biopellet Reactor/Pumps: From the original post some forum comments/research I have decided to drop the Biopellet reactors due to the added expense without high reward but high risk.

Now to the GFO/Carbon Reactor Pump, I have a few questions about. I was thinking I want to chose either the Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump (565 GPH) or Danner Mag Drive 5 (500 GPH). Has anyone used either of these pumps and would you recommend one of them? Also regardless of the choice can I used one pump to use both GFO/Carbon Reactors?

Biological Filtration: I am just starting to watch the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing per forum commenters suggestions and I saw they lined it with ceramic blocks. Is this strategy overkill and should I just stick to putting them in the refugium section of the sump? And just for some added context, I am going to have about a 1-inch sand bed and about 120 Pounds of live rock in the tank. From what I presume that will be plenty of biological filtration/breeding grounds for beneficial bacteria, but I presume more biological filtration never hurts... does it?

Two-Part Doser: I chose the GHL Doser primarily for the 4 pump head doser which is seemingly needed for the Triton Method. In addition, I have read numerous positive reviews for the GHL Doser. Does anyone have any objections going this route?

Calcium Reactor: Per forum posters suggestion I am holding off adding a calcium reactor in the first iteration of the tank. Eventually, I want to add the calcium reactor in tandem with the two-part doser but I understand it is far down the line.

Battery Backup: I want a few battery back-ups in the case of a power outage. As I have read that a tank truly only needs to maintain flow at all times as lighting is not necessarily needed 24/7. Now my question is do I really need three separate battery backups or would I get by with one or two?

UV Sterilizers: I have read numerous articles/blog posts stating that the UV Sterilizer just is not effective enough to warrant the money. However, reading over a lot of R2R build threads lots of people use them. In your guys' experience are they worth the money/investment? I am somewhat planning to go without a UV Sterilizer but if they are a good investment in your eyes I would love to know.

Conclusion: Thanks to everyone who did read through the entire forum post. After this round of comments, this is more or less the equipment I will go for in the reef tank.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchase everything last that has a warranty with attached to it. Second inspect everything that you buy to make sure it is not broken. Guilty here on both accounts.

Big point!! Test everything!! I also started piling up all I wanted ahead of time for my last build, and took advantage of Black Friday sales. The only problem was so much time elapsing before I put them to use it was much more difficult to deal with any DOA issues. Test everything you get, at least as much as you can when it's not in actual use.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
My plan was going to set up most likely computer fans/ some other type of fan in order to cool the lights when they are ramped up during the day. Is this step a smart idea in order to lower the heat the lights produce, or is it simply unneeded expense?

Heater: From watching a few BRS videos I have been really impressed by Neo-Therm Submersible Heater temperature stability/accuracy. I will follow the rule to replace the heaters yearly to limit the chance of a heater failing. Has anyone used the Neo-Therm Submersible Heater and what is your impression of it?

Now to the GFO/Carbon Reactor Pump, I have a few questions about. I was thinking I want to chose either the Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump (565 GPH) or Danner Mag Drive 5 (500 GPH). Has anyone used either of these pumps and would you recommend one of them? Also regardless of the choice can I used one pump to use both GFO/Carbon Reactors?

Battery Backup: I want a few battery back-ups in the case of a power outage. As I have read that a tank truly only needs to maintain flow at all times as lighting is not necessarily needed 24/7. Now my question is do I really need three separate battery backups or would I get by with one or two?

UV Sterilizers: I have read numerous articles/blog posts stating that the UV Sterilizer just is not effective enough to warrant the money. However, reading over a lot of R2R build threads lots of people use them. In your guys' experience are they worth the money/investment? I am somewhat planning to go without a UV Sterilizer but if they are a good investment in your eyes I would love to know.

Radions have their own internals fans and don't need any additional cooling. T5s don't really need any cooling per se either, especially with an open fixture like the AL hybrid.

Tank heating from lights is a different matter though; it can be a significant factor. Definitely good to have a cooling fan or two available for occasional mild tank cooling. Direct it toward the water either over the display or sump for evaporative cooling. I have one controlled by Apex that turns on only when the water temp rises above a certain level, which only happens during hotter summer days. Make sure your ATK is working because this can speed evaporation considerably.

I have used Neo-Therms. I too liked their slick design and complete submersibility. What size are you thinking of buying? I had a 300W running. Unfortunately, I subsequently found that there have been reports of extremely serious issues with this size, and maybe also the 250W. Just google 'neo-therm exploded' for some scary reading. I can't have anything like that happening in my house, even if the risk is small.

I love the Syncra pumps; they are dead silent, and efficient. As far as a reactor, you can just buy one, and put carbon, gfo, purigen, whatever you want in it, each enclosed in its own nylon mesh bag.

You can plug two MPs into one Ecotech battery backup. Your two MP40s would be the obvious choice, the system would likely do find without the MP10 for awhile. However, if you're getting an Apex, I would recommend also putting the system on a UPS as soon as your budget allows. My experience is that the Apex appreciates clean uniform power and is not always happy with noisy power.

I only use a UV sterilizer as a problem solver for outbreaks of disease, algae, dinos, etc, and prophylactically if I'm adding a very sensitive type of fish and want to reduce the bacterial load of the system before introducing it. I personally would not run one 24/7 because it will kill a lot of things that are beneficial to your system, such as microscopic larvae of various types some of which your corals will use as food. Now if you were starting up a fish-only system, I would recommend one for sure.

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy as much as you can on the Black Friday sales, also look into the Tunze 6095 or 6055's. The Tunze 6055 are 185 with built in controller, so two 6055's for the price of one MP 40's Quiet drives.

If the battery backups for the wavemaker pumps you will only need one to run in an emergency.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back