Aquarium Salt

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of salt should I use for my 75g tank? Im getting a list of supplies I'll need. I also don't want to buy a ton of dosers, and won't be getting hard to keep coral, due to maintenance. Thanks!

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Aquaforest, the Fritz RPM seems to do really well for people. I would just steer clear of anything the has really elevated levels of alk. I started with the red sea pro but the alk was really high and made it a lot harder to avaoid big alk swings so thats when i switched to Aquaforest and have been very happy. Very easy to keep my alk between 8.0 - 8.3, cal 415-430 and mag 1420-1450.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Aquaforest, the Fritz RPM seems to do really well for people. I would just steer clear of anything the has really elevated levels of alk. I started with the red sea pro but the alk was really high and made it a lot harder to avaoid big alk swings so thats when i switched to Aquaforest and have been very happy. Very easy to keep my alk between 8.0 - 8.3, cal 415-430 and mag 1420-1450.

Awesome! Thanks

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is salt I've been told but I have also been told the salt from Red Sea is better because it help with CA and PH - I wish someone could confirm this tho because there is a huge price difference #reefsquad

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is salt I've been told but I have also been told the salt from Red Sea is better because it help with CA and PH - I wish someone could confirm this tho because there is a huge price difference #reefsquad

There are many more factors that play into CA and PH other than salt. Salt is the least of that.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Aquaforest my ph averages 8.24. I do a 5 gallon water change every 10 days or so, total water volume is about 50 gallons. IMG_2047.PNG

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using red sea pro from the very beginning. Never have issues but with a lot of coral it works for me. The alk stays at 9ish with dosing and 15% water changes weekly on 75 gallons. I've tried other salts including aqua forest but for some reason colors weren't great. The others aren't bad salts by any means, they just didn't work for me. Once your tank is dialed in I believe you'll be able to see what brand fits your tanks needs best. Good luck with the 75.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea normal not pro. My system stays pretty low in nutrients so the elevated alk of the pro salt lead to burnt sps. Some salts have been known to have inconsistent values when mixed but I've never had any issue with normal red sea salt. You will have to dose eventually no matter what salt you use if you plan to keep sps corals, the salt you use will eventually just be based on what levels you want to keep your tank at.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go bud. Picked this up when I started for info.
For experience, Red Sea Coral Pro is very good. 2hrs of mix time.
Currently using Reef Crystals. No complaints. I do not dose my tank, but I do weekly water changes to put back in whatever the corals needs. It is way cheaper! Plus it has claims to have no phosphates and no nitrates.

Screenshot_2016-12-13-02-27-28.png

Screenshot_2016-12-13-02-35-03.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back