Salt levels

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I used to keep my reed tank at a salinity concentration of 1.022, and I recently changed from instant ocean salt to instant ocean reef crystals because I was trying to set up a reef tank, and I thought I had followed the recommended mix of 1/2 cup per gallon for a concentration of 1.025, but I might have miscalculated because when I checked the concentration it was 1.027, and I quickly adjusted due to the fact that I have 2 brittle stars and a pincushion urchin in the tank. I’ve also seen that some like the ideal concentration at 1.023. I’m wondering if anyone has experimented with this concentration, if it’s good, or if I should keep my tank at 1.025. I would also like to know if anyone knows how much salt to add per gallon, of water for a 1.023 concentration. Thanks

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I used to keep my reed tank at a salinity concentration of 1.022, and I recently changed from instant ocean salt to instant ocean reef crystals because I was trying to set up a reef tank, and I thought I had followed the recommended mix of 1/2 cup per gallon for a concentration of 1.025, but I might have miscalculated because when I checked the concentration it was 1.027, and I quickly adjusted due to the fact that I have 2 brittle stars and a pincushion urchin in the tank. I’ve also seen that some like the ideal concentration at 1.023. I’m wondering if anyone has experimented with this concentration, if it’s good, or if I should keep my tank at 1.025. I would also like to know if anyone knows how much salt to add per gallon, of water for a 1.023 concentration. Thanks
If you’re trying for Coral, 1.025-1.026 is best.

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying for a little bit of a mixed tank. I have 2 brittle stars and a pincushion urchin right now, I’m probably about to add a new cleaning crew as I had a pretty severe case of green hair algae and nothing but those to take care of anything, so I’m probably going to start with a gap, Xenia, mushroom, zoa or bubble, something beginner friendly for now. I want to add some new oscelaris clowns, but don’t want to stress anything out in the process.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Industry standard was 1.024 and now 1.025-1.026 and comparable to ocean salinity

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying for a little bit of a mixed tank. I have 2 brittle stars and a pincushion urchin right now, I’m probably about to add a new cleaning crew as I had a pretty severe case of green hair algae and nothing but those to take care of anything, so I’m probably going to start with a gap, Xenia, mushroom, zoa or bubble, something beginner friendly for now. I want to add some new oscelaris clowns, but don’t want to stress anything out in the process.
Makes sense and these are all great corals to try your hand with. Definitely shoot for 1.025-1.026, this is a pretty safe region to stay within.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back