Aquarium Science Teacher (Groton) In need of Donations

Serge Medvedev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There Reef Community. I am new to this forum, but I have heard that this is a great way to reach out. My name is Serge Medvedev and I am a teacher at the Marine Science Magnet High School in Groton CT.

I am writing to ask for help. I am setting up a curriculum to teach students about aquarium science, in particular the maintaining of saltwater systems and reef tanks. We all know that this can be an expensive endeavor, and I do not have a large budget to be able to do what I would like to with the students. One of the ongoing projects we have at the school is the maintenance of display tanks that we have at the school. Currently, we are experiencing a phosphate problem (to name a few), and we are losing the battle, as our water source comes in with phosphates.

I had a phosban reactor donated to help with this, but I need the media for it.

This is just one example of an item I am looking for. However, in general, I would love to be able to collect anything that is being discarded. Water quality tests, lights, ballasts, pumps, really anything would be very helpful. Thank you!!

FishWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mr. Medvedev,

Both my daughters are attending MSMHS and one is in your new class...and she's super excited about it. We don't have any extra equipment but I'd be willing to donate some $$ towards it. Also, anything members would like to donate can be dropped off at my house (Clinton) or I could pick up if it's more convenient and I'll make sure it gets to the school. Good luck!

marchillo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good start would be an RODI unit. Prevent the bad stuff from getting in!

OP
OP
S

Serge Medvedev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mr. Medvedev,

Both my daughters are attending MSMHS and one is in your new class...and she's super excited about it. We don't have any extra equipment but I'd be willing to donate some $$ towards it. Also, anything members would like to donate can be dropped off at my house (Clinton) or I could pick up if it's more convenient and I'll make sure it gets to the school. Good luck!

Hi FishWrangler. Thanks so much for the support. I will be getting my RODI unit going in a few days, I think water quality test kits will be something that can come in handy. Honestly though, I would feel bad taking money. Any supplies that can be donated would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is an awesome way to teach the students! It's always much better, IMHO, when you can get hands on learning to supplement what you may read from a book. Do you have any pictures of the tanks?

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can probably help you out
☺ I know a couple of vendors....

OP
OP
S

Serge Medvedev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is an awesome way to teach the students! It's always much better, IMHO, when you can get hands on learning to supplement what you may read from a book. Do you have any pictures of the tanks?

Thanks! I can take some pictures tomorrow. Its a 50 gallon, but I am also trying to have students start their own 10 gallon tanks to practice on. The idea is to have smaller tanks to practice maintaining, and the larger display tanks that we have throughout the school the students can maintain once they learn the basics. I'm also trying to set up a back-up coral fragging tank, but that one is one that I will need materials for. Its always been a dream of mine to propagate corals and teach students.

clueless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There Reef Community. I am new to this forum, but I have heard that this is a great way to reach out. My name is Serge Medvedev and I am a teacher at the Marine Science Magnet High School in Groton CT.

I am writing to ask for help. I am setting up a curriculum to teach students about aquarium science, in particular the maintaining of saltwater systems and reef tanks. We all know that this can be an expensive endeavor, and I do not have a large budget to be able to do what I would like to with the students. One of the ongoing projects we have at the school is the maintenance of display tanks that we have at the school. Currently, we are experiencing a phosphate problem (to name a few), and we are losing the battle, as our water source comes in with phosphates.

I had a phosban reactor donated to help with this, but I need the media for it.

This is just one example of an item I am looking for. However, in general, I would love to be able to collect anything that is being discarded. Water quality tests, lights, ballasts, pumps, really anything would be very helpful. Thank you!!
I still have some things to give you. See you tuesday after work. Glad to see the wonderful support you are receiving from the CTARS community Rich

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a rodi filter in Griswold which you can have if you'd like I also know a student who goes to your school from this town and probably bring it into you

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome endeavor and I would love to contribute. I can donate an API reef test kit and some GFO filter media for your reactor, enough to get you started at least. I can ship it directly to you at the school if you provide the school address. Let me know.

OP
OP
S

Serge Medvedev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome endeavor and I would love to contribute. I can donate an API reef test kit and some GFO filter media for your reactor, enough to get you started at least. I can ship it directly to you at the school if you provide the school address. Let me know.

That would be fantastic! I could definitely come pick it up if shipping is too much. But if you would prefer it, the address is 130 Shennecossett Road. Groton, CT 06340. Thank you so very much!!

OP
OP
S

Serge Medvedev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a rodi filter in Griswold which you can have if you'd like I also know a student who goes to your school from this town and probably bring it into you
RODI Units would help so much. I cannot afford one for the school. You can definitely give it to a student to deliver!

OP
OP
S

Serge Medvedev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is our main display tank. It needs a bit of work but it has potential.
A__143A.jpg

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the smaller tanks I have about 6 Hydor 1s and 2s also some 150 watt heaters let me know where you would like email shipped

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you make a list of things you really want

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back