Aquarium scratches

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked thru the internet and seen extremely mixed reviews on removing scratches from aquarium glass. So I thought I'd ask my trust reef club. Has anyone had any real experience with removing scratches? I have a 40 gal IM AIO that I'm wanting to set up eventually. I got an really good deal on the whole set up and I can probably deal with some scratches but I thought since its empty... maybe try to get some of them out. Any advice?

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can't get them out then it will be an overflow/grow out tank for corals. Thanks for chiming in!

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cerium oxide if you want to try it. I have had mixed results. I can say it won't work if you can catch your fingernail on the scratch, to deep. Hair scratches have mixed results. Need a good buffing pad and orbital type sander. I used air compressor and a grinder/buffer to polish/fix my house window.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cerium oxide if you want to try it. I have had mixed results. I can say it won't work if you can catch your fingernail on the scratch, to deep. Hair scratches have mixed results. Need a good buffing pad and orbital type sander. I used air compressor and a grinder/buffer to polish/fix my house window.
Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it. At this point I'm more curious then anything on whether it can be done or not. I have an orbital buffer somewhere in my garage. I'll have to dig it out and check the speed on it. I do have a plan to keep the glass cool as I'm sure it will take a good bit of work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back