Aquarium Stabilization

D_0827

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank is currently 4 months old. It’s a RSR Reefer 170.
I’m currently struggling to keep the tank stabilized, I understand it’s normal for new tanks.

I’m including my parameters and as you can see PH is low and alkalinity is high. The highest PH has been is 7.6. Should I increase water changes from 3 weeks to weekly?
I have a skimmer that I have to dial all the time since I don’t have an auto top off system yet.

Also, what’s an ideal number for nitrates and phos? Any tips on how I can improve my current parameters? I’m aware I shouldn’t chase numbers im just insure why I continue to have such high alk and low ph. I am currently not dosing anything since when I have dosed PH in the past with Balance it seems to trigger an Alk increase as well.

Many questions I know, I would appreciate any help.

IMG_3719.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd verify those numbers, especially the pH with some other kits, and test standards if possible. As far as "ideal" numbers, keep in mind we can't test for organic forms of carbon, nitrogen and phosphate so what we can test for will not give us a complete picture of what's going on. Also keep in mind the microbial processes are incredibly complex and have more influence over coral health than having nitrogen or phosphate in a certain range. Here's some links you might find informative and maybe overwhelming but I'd point out the corals already know all this stuff so our job is largely to assist them alittle and be patient and let them do thier job and avoid getting in thier way by constantly trying to fix things.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back