Aquarium turned grey cloudy color overnight, Help!

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, Okay here's what adjustments were made the night before I woke up to a grey cloud lol. Okay first off I got a fresh shipment of fish in the mail which were then added to the tank. Okay now I suspect it's one of these two products I added after the fish were settled, API Stress Zyme and Top Fin water conditioner which is a petsmart brand. So far I have done a 20% water change and replaced all chemical media in my canister filter. Fresh Carbon, Fluval Clearmax and Cobalt Total Reef, Same as Purigen.

003.jpg 004.jpg 002.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, Okay here's what adjustments were made the night before I woke up to a grey cloud lol. Okay first off I got a fresh shipment of fish in the mail which were then added to the tank. Okay now I suspect it's one of these two products I added after the fish were settled, API Stress Zyme and Top Fin water conditioner which is a petsmart brand. So far I have done a 20% water change and replaced all chemical media in my canister filter. Fresh Carbon, Fluval Clearmax and Cobalt Total Reef, Same as Purigen.

003.jpg 004.jpg 002.jpg
looks like a bacterial bloom. How many fish did you add? what are you feeding? tank age? params? did you add any bacterial products to the tank?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on bacterial bloom. I would be worries about oxygen, are you getting a lot of water movement? If not I would try aiming any powerheads at the surface or add an airstone

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacterial bloom for sure, get an airstone in there asap if possible. It will sap the oxygen out of the water and start to kill the fish.

Edit: This will happen much quicker than you think, so make sure youre doing water changes and get some surface agitation.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn and I just added more nitrifying bacteria since I did the water change and added some bactrox to help them get started. Okay I will add an air stone, I already have 2 powerheads a marineland hang on filter plus canister filter. Could you please advice me how to get rid of this bacteria bloom? Thank You

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, keep the oxygen level up. It will have to play itself out. As long as there is O2 in the water it will not harm the fish.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, keep the oxygen level up. It will have to play itself out. As long as there is O2 in the water it will not harm the fish.
Okay thank you, My water parameters are holding perfect other than the ph being low because of the water change.
I wish there was a quicker or easier way to get this bloom under control insead of doing a whole lot of water changes

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a bottle of marine buffer on that tank. THROW THAT CRAP AWAY!!!!

Probably not what caused your bacterial bloom, but all it will do is give you a temporary boost to PH, while skyrocketing your ALK.

MY guess would be the stress zyme.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back