Grey kalk in my stirrer

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue. I’ve recently lost a few sps. A couple rtn overnight, a couple still stn but seem to be recovering.

Today I noticed my (geos reef reactor) kalk ph dropped a bit and couldn’t see any powder left in the bottom which is typically when I refill. Decided to run the pump for a bit to make sure it sounded okay, it didn’t, was a bit rough. Decided to drain the reactor and clean everything for a fresh reset and to my surprise the water was a nasty grey color. Everything rinsed out fairly easily and the pump magnet doesn’t look bad. Water in my RO bin looks clear.

Sometime this year I switched from the avast stirrer to this geo reactor and around the same time I switched from BRS kalk to captiv8 kalk. Not sure if this is a captiv8 impurity issue, a pump issue or something else. I’ve cleaned everything and set it back up fresh.
IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1685.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue. I’ve recently lost a few sps. A couple rtn overnight, a couple still stn but seem to be recovering.

Today I noticed my (geos reef reactor) kalk ph dropped a bit and couldn’t see any powder left in the bottom which is typically when I refill. Decided to run the pump for a bit to make sure it sounded okay, it didn’t, was a bit rough. Decided to drain the reactor and clean everything for a fresh reset and to my surprise the water was a nasty grey color. Everything rinsed out fairly easily and the pump magnet doesn’t look bad. Water in my RO bin looks clear.

Sometime this year I switched from the avast stirrer to this geo reactor and around the same time I switched from BRS kalk to captiv8 kalk. Not sure if this is a captiv8 impurity issue, a pump issue or something else. I’ve cleaned everything and set it back up fresh.
IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1685.jpeg
Only time I’ve seen grey Kalk was when I accidentally filled a builders lime container with tank water, wasn’t that grey though. I’ve got it in my head that grey was probably from lead impurities, but I may have dreamed that bit.

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also did an icp a few weeks ago but didn’t really notice anything out of wack. Rodi shows everything undetectable which is what I assume would’ve been the issue if something was wrong with the water. https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/45673051865cd9c4fb86

And for the tank, aluminum has always been high and I’ve done the corrective doses for the traces. But copper being high is a surprise. Zinc maybe from the pump in the kalk reactor? Not sure if that would’ve leeched from the pump and caused the grey?

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a pump leeching metals into the water is a failure of the device and pretty concerning. have you checked for some item being dropped into the tank or sump on accident that could leach this stuff? maybe some item dangling and resting in the water in some forgotten corner?

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve cleaned/inspected all of my pumps in the last couple months. Haven’t found any bad magnets or rusty parts. There has been slightly high zinc on my last 2-3 tests which I do every 3 months. I’ll have to go back and look to see if it’s trending up or holding steady. Timing could be similar to when I added the geos reef reactor but I think it was elevated before that.

Anyone know of zinc would cause a grey color in the kalk?

Aluminum has always been there and I assume because of my marinepure block. Not too worried about it.

Copper I assume it really not that bad as it’s only .005 ppm. But I’ll toss in some cuprisorb just to be safe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back