AquariumAdam’s 142 Build Thread

AquariumAdam

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
16
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been fish keeping for about 20 years, with varying degrees of success along that journey. It started off in high school, keeping freshwater fish in a 20-long. In college, that progressed to a small saltwater setup that, if I’m being honest with myself, was destined for failure. My method was largely trial-and-error, with an emphasis on error.

Most recently I started a 120 gallon reef tank, but as soon as I got things set up and water flowing, my wife and I received some life changing news. We sold our house and moved across town, into a larger house. Rather than moving all my equipment, I tore it down and sold it. It was just bad timing. We couldn’t have known that our circumstances were going to change.

The new house we bought had an unfinished basement. We had the basement finished into a family room, guest bedroom, and guest bathroom. There’s also a large utility room that shares a wall with the family room. You see where this is going.

For this build, I have three specific goals. The first is, I want to build this system to minimize visible plumbing and electrical components from the front view of the tank. Obviously, if you get up next to it, and look behind it you’re going to see some pipes and wires. But from the front, I want it to look like… impossible. If that makes sense.

The second goal, is I want this system to be as easy to maintain as possible. Hence, the wide-open sump, and the dedicated fish room. I plan to implement an auto water change system, and to keep things as simple as possible.

The third goal is, I want to keep a copper banded butterfly in this system at some point.

I purchased a 142-gallon Fiji Cube rimless tank, and all the components to build a custom extruded aluminum stand. The tank is 5-foot long, 2-feet deep, and 2-feet front to back. I plan to plumb the system through the wall, into the utility room, and pair it with a horse trough style sump. Here’s the space the tank is going to go:

IMG_0846.jpeg


And here’s the utility room, from now on to be called the fish laboratory:

IMG_0847.jpeg


Last weekend I built a racking system out of unistrut to hold an RODI filter, and to support a water spigot that I installed so I have running water in there. I plan to mount the aquarium’s drain and return piping to this strut as well. I’ll add a utility sink too at some point in the future, as this room also has a pre-installed auxiliary drain.

IMG_0880.jpeg


This week the aluminum stand material arrived, and the tank arrived. I got the aluminum all cut up and assembled. A couple friends came over and we got the tank into the family room.

Today I built a simple light racking system, using a section of 7/8” Unistrut. I lagged the strut to the ceiling, but I did it with some custom stand-off hardware I made, so the strut floats below the ceiling about an inch. This creates a cool visual effect.

I like this system of mounting suspended lights because it allows you to mount the strut to multiple joists behind the drywall, while also allowing for infinitely adjustable mounting points for the light hangers. You can get the lights hung exactly where you want them, while the whole system is rock solid, mounted to actual structure.

In an effort to minimize cords, I’m going to pass the cords from the lights through the wall and into the fish laboratory, so the only cord you will see from each fixture is a small length from the top of each light, to the wall directly behind it.
IMG_0909.jpeg


I forgot to mention, I have all my rock cycling in the front of the fish laboratory in a spare 120, and I got a stainless steel work bench for the fish laboratory. I have a maroon clown going through a new specimen treatment (medicated quarantine) while I build all of this.

IMG_0881.jpeg


Any feedback would be appreciated. I’m looking forward to making more progress on this. It’s going to be a long journey.
 
Last edited:
Really nice start! I can’t wait to see the progress! I wish I had a basement.
 
Looks like an awesome opportunity to do something special! Looking forward to following along!
 
Well I busted through the first of the drywall, to pass the cords for the lights into the fish laboratory. I love this, this way you don’t see the cords for the lights from the front of the system.
IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg


Tomorrow I have a friend coming over to help me get this tank on the stand so I can start plumbing :)
 
Ok the tank is on the stand, time to plumb this puppy.
IMG_0943.jpeg
 
I do worry about that. I’m taking a wait-and-see approach to the humidity issue. I do plan to install a dehumidifier down there.
 
I do worry about that. I’m taking a wait-and-see approach to the humidity issue. I do plan to install a dehumidifier down there.

I also be concern with the fact that your whole basement? Air will constantly going by your display when your Central ac unit is on. So you must keep your basement clean with no dust etc. no air freshener etc.
 
Side mission. Before plumbing, I decided to paint the wall behind the tank, that way once the plumbing is done I can start filling it. Once it’s full, I won’t be able to move it to paint the wall.
IMG_0948.jpeg
 
Ok so I ordered all the PVC I’ll need to build the plumbing. I’m going to build the display side from schedule 80 gray PVC, and the laboratory side will be white schedule 40. I’m going to make the transition at the back side of the wall with Fernco style couplings so the pipes are not captivated by the fittings on either side of the wall, if that makes sense.

I’m trying to keep the design as clean as possible, with no plumbing visible from the front of the display. It’s important that the pipes protrude through the wall only directly behind the display, and not below the display, under the cabinet. The stand is going to remain completely open, with no front, back, or side panels. Not only that, but the pipes also need to protrude through a section of drywall that has no structure behind it. I figured out that I could run all three drains diagonally out of the overflow box, and they would all land between two studs in the wall. I cut the return pipe in underneath the drain pipes, into a tee, and then up to the return nozzles. Like this:
IMG_0963.jpeg


This is all just mocked up for now, no glue. I worked all of this out using the much cheaper schedule 40, and when my schedule 80 components get here, I will use this arrangement as a template. That way I’m not risking making a mistake with the more expensive schedule 80 stuff. I’ll use these fittings on the laboratory side.

Here’s the way it all fit into place:
IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg


Onward and upward
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0966.jpeg
    IMG_0966.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 45

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new