aquascaping questions

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just order 100lbs of dry rock(LOOKS AWESOME) as i starting a new build i want to aquascape it before i add water to cycle. i don't want the pile the rocks on the back way. i really want more of a open tank with columns or islands of rock. my tank is a 150 gallon thats 48"x24"x31" i would like atleast 2-3 of these islands. i just want to make sure the rock doesnt' fall and break the glass. so im thinking of using zipties and acrilic rods to hold the rock in place.

any help or suggestions will help
thanks
greg

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stack em, maybe drill into them and attach them together via acrylic rods. Since you dont want the pile of rocks look, I'd also suggest using rocks with the same looks / surface (if that make sense). So you have a more uniform look in your rockscape.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the rods, zipties, and maybe some putty as well. Use the putty last. Make sure you have it the way you want it and make it permanent. I know marcorock has a cement you can use. It can only be used on dry rock. Check them out.

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the dry rocks. Well done. You'll quickly get bacterial faculties needed without the baggage of pest organisms from all too common low quality live rock. You can hand pick and seed desirables (corallines, sponges, bryozoans, etc in time. I set up most all of my systems this way too.

Be sure to build any and all structures (including and especially the back wall) a comfortable fist or arms width away from the glass. Obviously will will be for scraping algae when desired or picking up fallen items. But most importantly it is to facilitate overall waterflow around and through the reef over time so that the tank doesn't suffer accumulated buildup (solids and dissolved) of organics that essentially stymies all aquarists in the 12-24 month period, usually expressed by a dreadful nuisance algae or cyanobacteria infestation.

Gotta always keep solids in sus[pension for extended filter feeding opps or processing (skimmers, mechanical filters, etc)

Eynonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just scaped my 90 with Marco Rock. I drilled and used fiberglass rods and a reef safe cement I got off a fellow reefer. I think the rocks will break before the cement bond. Here's a pic
2011-03-05105558.jpg

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have broken plastic clothes hangers and used it to drive thru the drilled holes in the rock. Much cheaper than acrylic.

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the drilled rock with acrylic rods or PVC. The extra work on the front end will be well worth the effort later. Just make sure to pick up a masonry bit beforehand.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
home depot or lowe's has lots of items that you can use like pvc or acrylic rods. reef puttyis always an option

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the zip tie methodology;

MiscZipTiesonLR22April08.jpg

+1 on the drilled rock and the plastic coat hangers, although I cut mine rather than breaking them.

MiscDrilledandPeggedRock2Oct09.jpg

Last edited:
Back