Aquatic Life Hybrid DX18 24" Question

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I am looking at my options that are available to me to go hybrid. Right now I use 2 Radion X15s on a 36"x30" tank (36" long). I can't go with 36" long fxture because my Ecotech mounting rail that's attached to my sides of my tank. So...I was wondering if I can get a 24" model and get a pair of extra brackets (are they available?) for the 2nd LED and push each LED all of the way to the sides of the DX18? Hanging it from the ceiling is not an option, either is back of the tank mounting.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 24 inch only comes with one set of rails to mount 1 light. Since they are wanting to mount 2 lights they would need to get another set.

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging from picture, there's no way to hang the whole thing based off of those AL's LED brackets, right? If possible it would make my life easier by using my Ecotech rail and Radions' mounting original brackets. Using AL's bracket in between Radion bracket and x15.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those brackets are not AI specific. Those brackets with fit Ecotech, AI, even a black box led if you get creative.

Maybe pictures will allow you to visualize better than me explaining it.

Brackets on my Hydras.
Brackets have slots made for different lights. You would use the screws that came with your light to mount to bracket
20200804_181530.jpg

20200804_181532.jpg

Adding a pic of a xr30g4 pro for visual. That same bracket would work on the xr30/xr15.
20200804_181913.jpg

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...I can drill holes in AL's brackets and use long bolt/washer to secured the DX to the AL's bracket. Than use my radion mounts to hang the whole thing. Think that would work?

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who have DX18s, if I made my own brackets (out of 3/4" aluminum strips) to hold up the whole thing, going the long ways, how hard would it be to open up the sides of the DX18 to drill holes in the sides so I can screw in to attach the homemade brackets in it on the inner sides? I know all warranties will be voided, but do you see that being possible if I made my own mounting brackets to hold the X18 up? I wish I knew some one with DX18 so I can stare at it and get some ideas how to mount it with my situation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back