OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup in the works but I'm eurobraced and 6.5" from the wall. Your picture looks closer to 8" away but that could be angle of photo. At any rate it looks like you are lined up with the back of the tank wondering how far off the front are you?

Also wondering if 48" is wide enough for a 5' tank?

Thanks,

David h

Hey @NabberNate I’ll get you exact measurements tonight but to answer your question about the width why not go with the 60”? I don’t think it’ll be wide enough because I don’t see much light out of the tank from the sides. Unless you don’t plan on using 6inch on either side then I guess it’ll be ok. I’ll take pics in the dark tonight so you can see the light spread

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @NabberNate I’ll get you exact measurements tonight but to answer your question about the width why not go with the 60”? I don’t think it’ll be wide enough because I don’t see much light out of the tank from the sides. Unless you don’t plan on using 6inch on either side then I guess it’ll be ok. I’ll take pics in the dark tonight so you can see the light spread
I don't have any LED lights at the moment just getting into the hobby after decades out of it and want a dimmable option for sunrise / sunset is the main reason for 48". Probably won't aquascape all the way to the edge so in hoping it will look ok. Of course dimmable requires a controller too but $150 for Profilux light wifi isn't too bad.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any LED lights at the moment just getting into the hobby after decades out of it and want a dimmable option for sunrise / sunset is the main reason for 48". Probably won't aquascape all the way to the edge so in hoping it will look ok. Of course dimmable requires a controller too but $150 for Profilux light wifi isn't too bad.
Here are the pics so it’s about 8.25 off the wall and 6-6.5 away from the front. I don’t have rocks in the front quarter of the tank so it should be fine since I couldn’t get the lights to come off any longer without adding some support on the wall. I got 2 kessils in the middle but I had just the dx18 for a couple months and it looked nice on its own too. I’m running two blue plus and 2 coral plus.
Not too familiar with the controllers. I bought the apex but haven’t had too much time to dive really into it. I got it all set up but couldn’t even simply just turn my lights on just now lol. Ya any simple light controller will be fine and I love the sunrise/sunset feature. I personally enjoy seeing the lights slowly going into sunset.

let me know if you need any more help/advice. I’ve asked and read a lot on here and would love to help others in return.

Attachments

• 1758F48E-BD65-4C72-A33C-BE8F503890CC.jpeg
    1758F48E-BD65-4C72-A33C-BE8F503890CC.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 47
  • D47C53A9-1F9C-4805-A031-3EB319DE6DE7.jpeg
    D47C53A9-1F9C-4805-A031-3EB319DE6DE7.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 9B831207-FA29-470C-AFD1-FE7F20836E55.jpeg
    9B831207-FA29-470C-AFD1-FE7F20836E55.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 44

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics so it’s about 8.25 off the wall and 6-6.5 away from the front. I don’t have rocks in the front quarter of the tank so it should be fine since I couldn’t get the lights to come off any longer without adding some support on the wall. I got 2 kessils in the middle but I had just the dx18 for a couple months and it looked nice on its own too. I’m running two blue plus and 2 coral plus.
Not too familiar with the controllers. I bought the apex but haven’t had too much time to dive really into it. I got it all set up but couldn’t even simply just turn my lights on just now lol. Ya any simple light controller will be fine and I love the sunrise/sunset feature. I personally enjoy seeing the lights slowly going into sunset.

let me know if you need any more help/advice. I’ve asked and read a lot on here and would love to help others in return.

Thanks so much. I am leaning towards the dimmable also because I think it's just one power cord and I can choose which side versus the non dimmable is two cords and they are on opposite sides.

You can barely see in my picture an electrical outlet just a little above the tank on the left. I made a few last minute changes to raise the tank higher so it's lower than I wanted. With the dimmable I'll have one cord visible I don't want two.

Thanks again,

David h

Attachments

• 20210313_190127.jpg
    20210313_190127.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I called aquatic life directly and asked if they had any open box items. They had 1 dx48 so it's being delivered. Never hurts to ask.
Very nice. Ya they have great customer service.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Ya they have great customer service.
Can I ask you a question? What do do to stop a siphon when the power goes off? I have a 90 degree fitting before my loc line and or is very low in the tank. Maybe drill a hole like this or from behind?

Attachments

• 20210402_092635.jpg
    20210402_092635.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 22

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one issue with the AL Hybrid is that the design makes for one cord coming out either end of the light. In a peninsula style setup, this is unacceptable. Took me about a half hour with a screwdriver and a drill to re-engineer the thing so that both power cords exit at the same end.

In my case, I wish that the space between the two T5 fixtures were a bit wider, but aside from those two minor issues, I'm quite happy with my AI hybrid.

Mounting? For a peninsula, ceiling worked best for me.

Lightbar.jpg

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you a question? What do do to stop a siphon when the power goes off? I have a 90 degree fitting before my loc line and or is very low in the tank. Maybe drill a hole like this or from behind?
I think that would cause water to spill out. Don’t do it unles that 90 is in an internal overflow

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a spare 90 degree fitting I tested and it works great! Never mind the cloudy water I just added more sand. You can see on the back a small piece of plastic from where I drilled. I run my sump very high water level so I can't have 4 inches of tank siphon into the sump. I will have to make sure this doesn't get clogged. Hopefully the small amount of pressure going through keeps it clear and I'll check by turning off water on occasion.

Attachments

• 20210408_152345.jpg
    20210408_152345.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 40

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back