OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I love to see zero as well, but I have never made the change until I see it rise a couple points. See no difference ever.
Sometimes my meter shows 1ppm, then 0, then 1…..it’s when it goes 1-2-3ppm I change….or north of 5ppm.
DI resin is quite expensive.
If all of a sudden it jumps to say 20ppm, that’s the membrane.
The sediment and carbon I change at 6 months cause they are cheap.
Good info - thanks for sharing. What sort of mileage do you get before you need to change out the DI cartridge?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace DI, but I never do until 3-4ppm.
If membrane goes, the increase will be much more than 3-4ppm.
great little RODI maker.
How many gallons do you typically make before having to change the DI?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons do you typically make before having to change the DI?
It depends on how good the membrane stage is but for me
250g ish at best, using standard DI size container, with well packed resin in a reusable cartridge.

For me, 250g DT volume, 10% WC per month, so at that rate, a fill can last about 10 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the TDS reading after the membrane is 3 TDS, and after the DI cartridge is 2 - I"m assuming that this is a definitive indication that the DI cartridge is spent - even if it's not completely amber color.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't use the RODI buddy. But use the aquaticlife 4 stage RODI. I change my filters about every 3 months. That's about when my DI starts turning colors a little at the bottom. I also use the RODI buddy booster pump.

I always get 0tds also, and the ICP on the RODI water from it came back good. This is the one I use.

Aquaticlife RODI

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the RODI buddy. But use the aquaticlife 4 stage RODI. I change my filters about every 3 months. That's about when my DI starts turning colors a little at the bottom. I also use the RODI buddy booster pump.

I always get 0tds also, and the ICP on the RODI water from it came back good. This is the one I use.

Aquaticlife RODI
Thanks for sharing - so you switch out the DI cartridge only when the brown color appears at the bottom? You probably have a lot more use of it if you wait until the entire cartridge is amber colored yes?

How many gallons of water do you make in the period of 3 months?

The link that you shared - I have the older generation one - not the screw cap one like your's. I hope they don't stop making the cartridges for it.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for sharing - so you switch out the DI cartridge only when the brown color appears at the bottom? You probably have a lot more use of it if you wait until the entire cartridge is amber colored yes?

How many gallons of water do you make in the period of 3 months?

The link that you shared - I have the older generation one - not the screw cap one like your's. I hope they don't stop making the cartridges for it.

Yeah, but I only do that on personal preference. I could probably go a lot longer. I probably make around 180 Gallons in that time. Usually try to do WC of 15g once a week. This time they're lasting longer since I took a 6 week WC break lol.

But yeah, I change it once I see it turn about the bottom 2 inches brown/amber.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell when the cartridge turns brown. Dunno, maybe some unknown vision impairment! It is darker when it is wet, that's all I can tell. I just look for when the TDS starts ticking up 1, 2 and then 3 is time to order.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back