Aqueon 75 Gallon From Petco All Sides Tempered?

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances of all panes on an Aqueon 75 gallon tank from Petco being tempered? All panes show stripes with my laptop and polarized sunglasses.
I tested a known non-tempered piece of glass and the glasses blacked out.
I am going to return the tank tomorrow and see if I can bring my laptop in and test what they have in the store.
I would really rather drill the back for overflows.

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 1 myself and was under the impression only the bottom it tempered...I plan on drilling the back...saw that same chart aKlevans mentioned

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 15 and a 75. 15 is not tempered and the 75 shows all 4 sides and the bottom is with the glasses. I don’t want to risk it so I will see if I can find one that is not and exchange this one.
Really surprised it is all tempered though.
I saw the same chart.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went back to the store I bought mine from, and they only had one more. I brought my laptop and sunglasses in and told the guy what I wanted to do and he said go for it.
The one they had was all tempered too.
I checked a 40 breeder while there, just to make sure I am not doing something wrong, and it is not tempered.
Kind of disappointed, but I will just make a PVC overflow and connect it to the 3 sided overflow box I bought to glue to the back of the tank.
I used a similar setup in my 55 for a while with no problems. Drilling is just safer and cleaner looking to me.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call the Aqueon company's support line and ask... they will know!

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call the Aqueon company's support line and ask... they will know!
I just did. The guy told me that it is very likely the entire tank is tempered, especially if the tank was manufactured in the last two years.
He said Petco started buying so many tanks for their $ per gallon sale that they had a shortage of regular glass and started making the whole tank with tempered.
I guess you should always test with a laptop and polarized glasses, but that is what they told me.

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got home and checked the one I bought and sure enough it shows the line with polarized glasses and laptop...I'm ticked I don't think I have my receipt and I bought it based on that info card they put out...checked an older 55 to make sure I did it right and it blacks out not tempered...

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still exchange it or get store credit for 60 days. Bring your laptop and glasses to the store and test them.
And if you are anywhere near Baton Rouge la let me know if you find one.

Last edited:

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the tank back and brought my laptop and polarized glasses and they had one that looks good...checked it again when I got home...bittom is tempered but back and front are not

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did. The guy told me that it is very likely the entire tank is tempered, especially if the tank was manufactured in the last two years.
He said Petco started buying so many tanks for their $ per gallon sale that they had a shortage of regular glass and started making the whole tank with tempered.
I guess you should always test with a laptop and polarized glasses, but that is what they told me.

How interesting... I bought a 125g aqui from them about 2yrs ago and went off the chart and drilled it... luckily for me it was not a tempered back piece!!! [emoji12]

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so checked it 5 times since I'm paranoid and then drilled it...so do take your laptop
9d8fffd6c087edbb827389f972b4c0fd.jpg
and polarized glasses when you go shopping for these tanks because some are tempered and some are not...even in the same store lot....

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not they do have a warning label on the bottom that says do not drill...Dont recall where but I was told it used to specify bottom...Sounds like they don't want to manage their raw inventory or are not capable...

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not they do have a warning label on the bottom that says do not drill...Dont recall where but I was told it used to specify bottom...Sounds like they don't want to manage their raw inventory or are not capable...
Yes but some put stickers Bottom tempered do not drill. Some put stickers on the bottom on that say do not drill. The stickers can be misleading MY DSA Tank has a sticker on the bottom that says ..Tempered Bottom Only. of Course this tank is not tempered sides its 240 gallons

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine new 75 gallon has a sticker on the bottom with general safety information, and one line that says "Do not drill enclosure". This is what made me wonder if it was just the bottom or the whole thing.
My old 55 had a sticker on the bottom that said "tempered glass do not drill"
I do not see any marks on any pane in the 75 indicating tempered glass, but they could be under the silicone, or not there at all.

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out the hard way mine is tempered glass. Petco told me it wasn’t and they were nice enough to give me a gift card for the price. Reading on aqueon it only says the bottom is temper but then it says if they are running low on glass they may switch to tempered.

7AE29B32-8998-4542-A982-DDC9C72D831A.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back