Aqueon heater making a clicking/knocking noise

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aqueon 50 watt heater is making knocking noises its not in a sequence its random and multiple times in a minute. I took it out and didn't see any cracks anyone know what this could be?

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the heater? It is wise to replace your heaters atleast once per year. Even if they are in perfect shape.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was stuck to the side of the sump or aquarium, it is possible that is where the noise was coming from. I had the same issue and couldn't figure it out for weeks. I spend hours with my head in my sump trying to track down the knocking noise. I removed the suction cups and let the heater free float and the noise went away. Never made any sense. There wasn't enough water movement in the sump to say it was the heater banging against the acrylic sump (plus it was held tight with suction cups). It was a Aqueon heater though.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that it's possibly heat getting trapped but not sure. Yea lol it took me awhile to figure out what was making the noise I thought it was my shrimp but then I was cant be so I sat their looking at the tank inetently trying every time I hear the noise I searched the whole tank haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back