Aqueon Silicone Cure Time

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering buying an external refugium for a while now but can't really justify the expense when I have a decent sized unused area of my sump. I'd like to convert half of my return chamber into a refugium. I need to silicone a small piece of glass at the bottom to separate it from the pump section. I'll drain the sump and think display will be fine for a few days with just my gyres for flow if I move the heater up too.

What product should I use for glass that's reef safe and quick curing? Since it's a small project I was thinking just a tube of Aqueon aquarium silicone, but how long for this stuff to fully cure?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used ASI aquarium silicone but I don't believe it comes in a small tube. The Aqueon silicone will work fine and if it were me I would give it a week of curing and then get it wet.

I'm sure in a couple days it would be cured for the most part and you could get it wet but I have always gone a week.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cure time depends entirely on the size of the bead you use. If memory serves, it’s usually a day for a 1/8” bead (maybe 1/4”), longer for larger. I always give it at least a week.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back