Aragacrete Dry or not to Dry?

RaddReef319

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
157
Reaction score
1
Location
Iowa City, Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading various threads about aragacrete and it appears people are divided as to whether or not allow the rock to dry. My plan is to make the rock, soak it in white vinegar for 24 hours, soak 2 days fresh water, allow to air dry for 2 weeks, then soak in salt water for 4 weeks. Does this sound like a good plan for curing the aragacrete? I want to balance the ph as soon as possible. Any advice??
 
Its probably going to take a little longer than that.I would soak it a little longer in vinegar. The last batch I made took eight weeks before the ph came down. When introduced to the tank it must have leached silicate or something, because I had the worst algae bloom ever.
 
Every thread that I read said 24 hours but your saying to soak it longer. How long would you say? I've already done the soaking step and the vinegar really seemed to affect the strength of the rock. I'm afraid if I soak it longer it might fall apart.
 
I just put mine in a 32 gallon rubber maid trash can for 45 days of fresh water. changed water once a week then it was fine I never put any vinegar,

JR,
 
I just put mine in a 32 gallon rubber maid trash can for 45 days of fresh water. changed water once a week then it was fine I never put any vinegar,

JR,

Did you ever test your ph? With what I read that's supposed to be the most important reason to properly cure.
 
Yeah no problem with PH it was 9 plus in the begining was down to 8.5 by 3 weeks then I got busy and didn't get to check PH till 45 days was done. I for got to add
also there was a Hagen 802 powerhead runing in it all the time also. What it really comes down to though is don't use the creet till the PH comes down even if it takes 90 days. youll be just fine.

JR,
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new