Arduino powered diy sea sweep! Oscillating wavemaker diy!

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think LED lit rockers just use power going through the switch to light the led. I have the LEDs programmed to indicate which program is running

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be willing to help with the programming of that? I do not know code writing at all to be honest. Or could I even just wire all four servos into the same pins on the board?

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI to everyone. Servo motors will wear out. The position feedback within a servo is provided by an internal potentiometer. Eventually the wiper or resistor surface will wear out and the servo will stop functioning. Some servos are more durable than others, and as of now I have no idea how long this will last with the servo I specified. Please consider that servos might be a consumable in this system.

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be really cool to have a separate pot and set of switches for each servo if possible.

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI to everyone. Servo motors will wear out. The position feedback within a servo is provided by an internal potentiometer. Eventually the wiper or resistor surface will wear out and the servo will stop functioning. Some servos are more durable than others, and as of now I have no idea how long this will last with the servo I specified. Please consider that servos might be a consumable in this system.
Understood. But they are cheap so I'll just buy extras.:)

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be really cool to have a separate pot and set of switches for each servo if possible.
I can try to help. I don't know if attaching to a single pin would work. A separate pot for each servo will not work with the coding method I'm using. More complex codes using millis instead of delay can make this work.

Check the link below for some hints on how to implement more than one servo.

Or you can always just buy another board...

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=363365.0

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try to help. I don't know if attaching to a single pin would work. A separate pot for each servo will not work with the coding method I'm using. More complex codes using millis instead of delay can make this work.

Check the link below for some hints on how to implement more than one servo.

Or you can always just buy another board...

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=363365.0
I would just hate to buy a separate board for each powerhead since there would be four

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. It's definitely possible to do what you want to, it just wasn't in my original design goals so I didn't go that far.

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just hate to buy a separate board for each powerhead since there would be four
Well, I guess I could. Not like the boards are that big. I was just concerned about space but I have plenty of room. Maybe I'll do that. Just to keep the programming simple and not have them all not work if a board goes bad or something.

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just trying to achieve multiple sweep speeds?
I would just like to be able to control each powerhead separately. I don't want them all moving in an identical pattern/speed in unison. I think I'll just order 4 boards and 4 servos and have them each set just slightly different.

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to be able to control each powerhead separately. I don't want them all moving in an identical pattern/speed in unison. I think I'll just order 4 boards and 4 servos and have them each set just slightly different.
Ok, slow it down a bit. I think we can figure it out

Roger Crank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, slow it down a bit. I think we can figure it out
Haha, alright. It's not all that expensive though to have 4 separate boards so they can do different speeds and delays. And I like your idea of using the box the kit comes in as a case!

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're doing 4 separate arduinos you can power them all from the same power supply and put them all in a larger project box

Kikko2775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello guys .... (excuse me in advance for my English not perfect) after a while and a bit of help (thanks "mstockmaster") I managed to finish the project ... I feel satisfied with the result. to make it, I used an arduino card, one r3, buying a starter kit directly.
20180225_093957.jpg 20180224_155255.jpg 20180224_155318.jpg I used an aluminum profile as a support, modifying it to make it fit into the glass of the tank with a thickness of 12mm 20180224_155322.jpg then fixing one of the servo motor bracket. 20180224_155300.jpg
20180224_155304.jpg

20180224_155251.jpg

servo_.jpg

20180224_155309.jpg

20180224_155736.jpg

20180224_161716.jpg

20180225_092601.jpg

Kikko2775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180225_092605.jpg
to move the servant I was helped by "mstockmaster" finding the codes to use. I opted for a code with a temp of 600 ms trying to keep the movement quite fluid and constant.

#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo; // create servo object to control a servo
// twelve servo objects can be created on most boards

int point of sale = 0; // variable to store the servo position

void setup() {
myservo.attach(9); // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object
}

void loop() {
for (point of sale = 50; point of sale <= 140; point of sale += 1) { // goes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees
// in steps of 1 degree
myservo.write(point of sale); // tell servo to go to position in variable 'point of sale'
delay(600); // waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position
}
for (point of sale = 140; point of sale >=50
; point of sale -= 1) { // goes from 150 degrees to 90 degrees
myservo.write(point of sale); // tell servo to go to position in variable 'point of sale'
}
}

for now it seems good to me as a result.

Last edited:

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180225_092605.jpg
to move the servant I was helped by "mstockmaster" finding the codes to use. I opted for a code with a temp of 600 ms trying to keep the movement quite fluid and constant.

#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo; // create servo object to control a servo
// twelve servo objects can be created on most boards

int point of sale = 0; // variable to store the servo position

void setup() {
myservo.attach(9); // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object
}

void loop() {
for (point of sale = 50; point of sale <= 140; point of sale += 1) { // goes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees
// in steps of 1 degree
}
for (point of sale = 140; point of sale >=50
; point of sale -= 1) { // goes from 150 degrees to 90 degrees
}
}

for now it seems good to me as a result.
Very beautiful work . Don't you afraid aluminium rusting, inside salt water?

OP
OP
mstockmaster

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, aluminum will still corrode and has the potential to be very damaging to reef inhabitants. I'd recommend getting that out of the water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back