are calcium reactors outdated now?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, with all the emphasis on higher PH , and calcium reactors (CR) often have a negative effect on PH, are CRs really needed any longer with all the dosing pump reef additives on the market that accomplish better results with higher PH to boot. Plus i have a kalk reactor now that i have been using , BUT, i also have a geo dual reactor, a carbon regulator and the Kamoer FX-STP2 WiFi Peristaltic Dosing Pump that I am not using at the moment, but dont know if i should use it as i don't want PH to lower... i am good with PH and alk currently

1649969690850.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They will always be an essential use item and a benefit. Popularity may have decreased with units such as KH guardian, Trident, etc.
Mine is a difference maker

1649970183824.png

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will most likely restart the CR as my acros are growing nicely these past months... i will add sand to the second chamber instead of reactor media to try and absorb some of that Co2 so it does not lower tank PH

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest keeping in mind that what is good for the consumer market often gets more attention than what is best for the consumer.
Selling you endless bottles of solutions is better for someone that is selling you bottles. Of course they will market the product as better.
That does not make it so.
Buy into the hype machine if you like but a Calcium reactor is one of the most natural ways, if not the most natural way, to replenish our small oceans in our living rooms.

Funny that people use to be discouraged by the initial cost of a Ca reactor. With the current price of a doser and supplements Ca reactors are down right affordable.

Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i forget how! ugh!!
Very simple. get you tank water circulating through system, a c02 bubble every second and a half, and a small trickle on output, when I say small trickle, just above where it drips. From here you only change your bubble count slightly to meet the tanks needs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are still the workhorse of late reef tanks and I don’t see anything changing that. A 300+ gallon reef with 12” colonies just takes so much 2 part most folks don’t want to mix 5g+ frequently and that is asking a lot out of dosing heads unless step up to continuous duty. I do think with increased attention on ph some will also use kalk or a hydroxide 2 part to help, but then again by the time one needs a reactor for huge colonies they generally are not trying for max growth.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have adapted my CaRx to a smaller tank size. Works pretty much the same as large tanks but with some changes.
Understood. my point is small tanks can use what ever, 2 part is cost effective for a small tank.

2 part is not cost effective, for large tanks. Thats why most of us use Ca reactors

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, with all the emphasis on higher PH , and calcium reactors (CR) often have a negative effect on PH, are CRs really needed any longer with all the dosing pump reef additives on the market that accomplish better results with higher PH to boot. Plus i have a kalk reactor now that i have been using , BUT, i also have a geo dual reactor, a carbon regulator and the Kamoer FX-STP2 WiFi Peristaltic Dosing Pump that I am not using at the moment, but dont know if i should use it as i don't want PH to lower... i am good with PH and alk currently

1649969690850.png

I would never use one since I don't want to dump acidic water and phosphate into my tank. However, I do understand that large tanks are the ones that benefit from them.

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on size of tank, mineral demand from tank. I used two part dosing on my heavily populated 75G tank and just couldn’t keep up so added a CaRx and it’s plug and forget. Love my CaRx. I used to use Milwaukee pH controller plus dual gauge with solemoid but their product just just crap. Bought a much nicer dual stage and hooked up pH probe to spare PM1 module and CaRx is rock solid at 6.31. I do use co2 scrubber on skimmer intake and tank pH range is 7.90-8.1 not great but very stable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back