are calcium reactors outdated now?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What studies?

Was the O2 low in the water before aeration?
Was a huge write up/article posted at RC, done in a labratory setting, probably about 4 to 5 years back, maybe less. From what I remember, o2 was typical, and measured prior to, while doing such, and after areation and as well as readings after skimmer ect ect. End results were surface agitation resulted in the higher amounts of saturation, things like airstones ect, did very little in comparison. Even you have said in the past [ During the day the tank may reach or even exceed the solubility limit of O2 due to photosynthesis, and so cavitation like in a powerhead can create O2 bubbles. ]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a huge write up/article posted at RC, done in a labratory setting, probably about 4 to 5 years back, maybe less. From what I remember, o2 was typical, and measured prior to, while doing such, and after areation and as well as readings after skimmer ect ect. End results were surface agitation resulted in the higher amounts of saturation, things like airstones ect, did very little in comparison. Even you have said in the past [ During the day the tank may reach or even exceed the solubility limit of O2 due to photosynthesis, and so cavitation like in a powerhead can create O2 bubbles. ]

Yes, but Eric Borneman’s publish studies showed a skimmer can raise O2 when it is low.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could they be more stable than appropriate dosing?

I see pros and cons to using a CaCO3/CO2 reactor, but stability compared to dosing using a dosing pump isn't one of them.

If anything, I think one could readily make the case that alk is less stable using one than dosing to match alk demand that varies by time of day (which is not usually done with a CaCO3/CO2 reactor, but could be).
hi randy how would you go about using a carx with a dosing pump using your high ph alk formula ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there is a perfect best answer, but it may depend on how low the daily pH minimum is getting.

Using the two part at night will bring up the pH minimum, but then cause some swing in alk.

Dosing during the day will stabilize alk more, but with lower nightly pH.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro tip, some stores carry large grade reef tank substrate in a 50 lb polypropelene feed bags. It is almost identical to TLF Reborn and used to cost about $40-50, I switched to that after I ran out of my reborn media, and never looked back.
Hey Nick do you have any pictures of how you have the effluent going into the skimmer and where ?Thx for any info

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my CaRx tuned rather than with a ph probe. If I took my reactor offline, I really don't think it would have any impact on my PH. I monitor my ph daily and still unable to see any difference.

I do run kalk and a co2 scrubber, but I was doing that before I added the CaRx.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my CaRx tuned rather than with a ph probe. If I took my reactor offline, I really don't think it would have any impact on my PH. I monitor my ph daily and still unable to see any difference.
What sort of reactor are you referring to?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo CR818

I meant what type, but by searching I see that is a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.

it’s not possible for such a reactor to not lower pH unless you blow off all the added CO2 before the effluent reaches the tank water, but if you have enough aeration in the aquarium itself, the effect may be fairly small.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm one of the few.
I ran a carx on a 120g for 12 years and was always fighting the low PH issue and that was along side a kalk reactor but everything was growing and I would consider it a successful SPS tank.
Then all my tanks were shutdown in 2016 and I started up again in 2018 and decided to try 2-part for a mixed reef 180g and I do feel the low PH issues are not an issue any longer. But as the tank matured the 2-part increased to where I go through 1g each of 2-part every 24 days so it does cost me roughly $200 annually for the BRS additives. If the tank was any larger, I would agree that carx is the way to go cost wise.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant what type, but by searching I see that is a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.

it’s not possible for such a reactor to not lower pH unless you blow off all the added CO2 before the effluent reaches the tank water, but if you have enough aeration in the aquarium itself, the effect may be fairly small.
It certainly lowers PH, but is it enough to really make a difference (when properly tuned)? If it's only lowering it by 0.01-0.03, then I don't even care to mention it. The second we say ''lowers PH'', people instantly go to the extreme and avoid the setup altogether.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there is a perfect best answer, but it may depend on how low the daily pH minimum is getting.

Using the two part at night will bring up the pH minimum, but then cause some swing in alk.

Dosing during the day ank will stabilize alk more, but with lower nightly pH.
Thank you, i'm using your high ph alk formula right now and its keeping my ph around 8.2-8.3... i'm on the fence about putting a carx online i'm dosing about 100ml / day doing the balling method. but it would sure be nice not having to mix 3 part as frequently anymore lol.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly lowers PH, but is it enough to really make a difference (when properly tuned)? If it's only lowering it by 0.01-0.03, then I don't even care to mention it. The second we say ''lowers PH'', people instantly go to the extreme and avoid the setup altogether.
that's me lol

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have whole reactor setup just sitting there for months now lol.... I got a great deal on CR612X2 DUAL chamber calcium reactor and all the other stuff 1600 dollars worth of goods for 700 bucks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back