Are dinos contagious?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an invert QT tank that's currently battling dinos. No idea how long it typically takes to deal with them but in the mean time, a lot of my corals don't seem terribly happy about it. I *assume*, they'll be fine and bounce back once the dinos clear up. However, in the mean time, I'm wondering if I'll cause a dino outbreak in my DT if I move a few frags over (the ones already past 76 days and possibly the ones close to 76 days) just to get them into a tank where I think they'll do better.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think contagious is the right word, but yes, they can hitchhike from one tank to another.
I suppose hitchhike is closer to what I was looking for. I saw some other posts that essentially said all tanks have some dinos but they won't take off except under certain conditions, which, at least in my case, my DT doesn't have those conditions. However, I'd rather not take the risk if there's a chance I could end up with them in my DT as well.

I'm okay leaving them in the QT for a while longer, hopefully they'll make it through, which I think they will...or if they don't it'll be for other reasons.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am probably too late. Dinos can obviously hitchhike and eventually they are always present in our tanks. However they are very marginal competitors. I could dump a bucket of live dinos in my tank, but they would be outcompeted for space and most would die.

If I did something like starve my tank, or kill of a bunch of my bacterial film (Chemiclean) they could take over.

Kind of like acropora: you either have a tank biome that will support them or you don't and they die.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not do much contagious but rather a nuisance and toxic substance that can reek havoc on both fish and coral

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back