Are filter socks necessary?

Do you use filter socks with your reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 65.0%

• Total voters

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal mixed reef with fish and a Trigger Sapphire 39 sump. I do not use any filter media in the Trigger. I drilled holes in the drain pipe in the aquarium and then wrapped it with Marineland Bonded Filter pad. I clean they pad about once per month. I use this method because I do not want to restrict the flow of and pods around the tank. I've been running this setup for a year without any issues. Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no mechanical media at all and I am happy. I believe there are 2 potential benefits from mechanical filtration media.

1. Clarity
2. Nutrient removal

My experience is that I find the clarity of my water perfectly acceptable without any mechanical filter media. I know it could be better but typically 200 micron socks don't improve it much. Only ultra fine 20-25 micron cartridges seem to make a significant difference and these can be lots of work/ money and require specialized filters.

For nutrient removal this only works if you clean the socks/ replace media every 2-3 days. I am not going to do that and I don't want to purchase an expensive roller with expensive fleece to lower nutrients when they are already held in check with a skimmer and fuge.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus (fish poop) is potentially an important part of the carbonate cycle in reef ssytems. While many aquarists do strive for crystal clear water it's questionable how it is beneficial long term. Here's a quote from Charles Delbeek "Our crystal-clear aquaria do not come close to the nutrient loads that swirl around natural reefs. And so when we create low-nutrient water conditions, we still have to deal with the rest of a much more complex puzzle. Much like those who run their aquarium water temperature close to the thermal maximums of corals walk a narrow tight rope, I can't help but think that low-nutrient aquariums may be headed down a similar path." Charles Delbeck, Coral Nov/Dec 2010, pg 127

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any kind of mechanical filter on my current tank. I started off not using any because I didn't leave enough room in my diy sump to put filter socks. If I had plenty of space I would consider using a filter roller, but probably not socks because I know I wouldn't change them often enough.
I don't see any big difference either way, and IMO it can be a good way to remove waste before it breaks down if you have an issue with high nitrate and phosphate.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different......socks are just another tool to help accomplish a goal. If your tank water chemistry and clarity is good, then it isn't needed. If you have high nutrients and lots of detritus floating around the water column, then it can be useful. I run them all the time just because I see what they pull out.....I can't live with myself if I leave that in the tank lol.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mechanical filtration for me. I tried when I had dinos when I started a new tank, but never before or since.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running reactors in your sump, that same detritus that the filter sock would grab will end up in your carbon/calcium, etc reactor causing you to have to clean them more often. Also, potentially contributing to clogging the output of the low volume effluent of the calcium reactor.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" on my 130 gallon and I have to remove it once or twice a week and go bare because between my skimmer, scrubber and sock it strips my nutrients too low. So removing it helps balance out nutrients as well as scaling back on skimming.
Not needed but it pulls so much dirt out that I can't see not using it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The only needed stuff to run a tank in terms of filtration is biological aka rock + flow. Anything past that is just extra to help with clarity or stocking loads.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run very high tank turn over since my return was part of my flow plan. Unfortunately this makes using filter socks a daily maintenance item. They clog up in 24 hours. I tried using them for the first six months, but the daily washing of socks was getting old quick.

On the flip side since removing them my pod population has exploded. I also have not noticed any significant build up of detritus. I chalked that up to having enough turn over that my skimmer is pulling it out. I empty my cup every 2-3 days.

However, if I do any cleaning or maintenance I will throw a sock on for a day.

OP
OP
D

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal mixed reef with fish and a Trigger Sapphire 39 sump. I do not use any filter media in the Trigger. I drilled holes in the drain pipe in the aquarium and then wrapped it with Marineland Bonded Filter pad. I clean they pad about once per month. I use this method because I do not want to restrict the flow of and pods around the tank. I've been running this setup for a year without any issues. Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.
Drain view.png
Refugium view.png
Full tank view.png

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled holes in the drain pipe in the aquarium and then wrapped it with Marineland Bonded Filter pad. I clean they pad about once per month. I use this method because I do not want to restrict the flow of and pods around the tank.

It looks like you have back up drains (bean animal?) so that's good, but it seems risky putting pads on the drain intakes... As for restricting the flow of and pods around the tank, seems like 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

If you are running reactors in your sump, that same detritus that the filter sock would grab will end up in your carbon/calcium, etc reactor causing you to have to clean them more often. Also, potentially contributing to clogging the output of the low volume effluent of the calcium reactor.

I've never experienced issues with my reactors due to no socks. I pulled my socks years ago and never looked back. Much better biodiversity with the socks off, corals seem to do better, no clarity issues and no more replacing socks every couple days!

I do run one sock in my sump where the outlets from my two reactors (Carbon & GFO) re-enter the return section. I do this to collect any granuals that exit the reactors and the sock definitely picks those up. But I only have to replace that one about every 3-4 weeks.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never experienced issues with my reactors due to no socks. I pulled my socks years ago and never looked back. Much better biodiversity with the socks off, corals seem to do better, no clarity issues and no more replacing socks every couple days!

I do run one sock in my sump where the outlets from my two reactors (Carbon & GFO) re-enter the return section. I do this to collect any granuals that exit the reactors and the sock definitely picks those up. But I only have to replace that one about every 3-4 weeks.

Might not be the case for everyone, however I have lots of trouble with the CA reactor in my frag tank’s outlet constantly clogging, and that is just from when the sock overflows on me. . I use large media so it doesn’t really filter much and what goes in ends up coming out. So much so that I ended up putting a filter in-line on the effluent line.

The effluent line in my display never clogs because I run a second chamber with fine media for CO2 control.

In the carbon reactor of my frag tank the detritus build up ends up pushing the sponge/carbon to the top after a while.

come to think of it, I placed my reactor pumps in the first chamber In my sump where the detritus entering the sump would be the most likely to still be in suspension, might move them to the return chamber and see if that helps.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just changed my filter sock. Seven days of use, 100 gallons total volume. Feed one cube per day with eight fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 173

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back