Are my cleaner shrimp died?

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cleaner shrimp in my 75 gallon tank for a few months now. They always come out during feeding and have made a cleaning station in the tank. I pretty much see them every day. My aqua scape is pretty simple so when they molt I can see them most of the time. Recently I haven’t seen them anywhere. They haven’t came out for feeding or anything and that’s both of them. I also had an accidental pH and alk spike and the only thing that seemed to be affected was some of my corals witch are now starting to open. Is this normal behavior for cleaner shrimp or are they dead? I have seen a piece that look like it could be a molt or what ever but I’m not sure and if they did die my pistol shrimp would have probably got them or my nassaruis snails would probably have gotten to them as well. Any knowledge about cleaner behavior would be greatly appreciated.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you've seen the shrimp, and what kind of cleaners are they? Also, what else is in the tank?

I have had some skunk cleaners hide for a day or two during/after a molt, but usually they're always out and about. The Blood Red Fire shrimp tend to be more timid, and mine have hidden for a week (or more) at a time.

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you've seen the shrimp, and what kind of cleaners are they? Also, what else is in the tank?

I have had some skunk cleaners hide for a day or two during/after a molt, but usually they're always out and about. The Blood Red Fire shrimp tend to be more timid, and mine have hidden for a week (or more) at a time.
They’re are just the skunk cleaner shrimp but it’s been maybe 2-3 days and it would be a coincidence that they would both be molting at the same time.

And in the tank I have
2 clownfish
Coral beauty
Lawnmower blenny
Azure damsel
2 firefish
Yellow watchman goby paired with a pistol shrimp.
I also think that the pistol shrimp could have gotten them because he is obsessively snapping in a way that he does when he get a snail every once in a while. But even then It wouldn’t make sense that he could catch both and like I said my aquascape has places to hide but for the most part I have always see there wishers or what ever they are but I’m asking because I’m just hoping that this is some weird behavior or thing that they do instead of being dead.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd too that they are both missing and don't think alk spike killed them as I have had several spikes and my skunk never was affected! only thing i could think of is that I don't know mating behaviour which could cause them to hide!! Not much you could do accept wait it out!

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd too that they are both missing and don't think alk spike killed them as I have had several spikes and my skunk never was affected! only thing i could think of is that I don't know mating behaviour which could cause them to hide!! Not much you could do accept wait it out!
Yeah, I think the only thing I can do is wait it out but I worried that my pistol shrimp got them so I'm becoming a little impatient to find out what’s wrong. Thanks for the help tho!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back