Are my clown fish okay?

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, kind of worried about my first fish in the tank. I put in two Picasso clown fish in my 65 gallon tank. I am running to Ai prime 16 HD lights, fx4 filter, titanium heater, too mini wave makers due to them being purposed for 30 gallon tanks. I acclimated to clowns for 30 minutes prior to releasing them into the tank. I did this at about 1 PM yesterday. Since I have released them, they mainly stick in one corner or the other, but look like they’re fighting extremely hard to swim, almost as if they’re against current. At first, I thought the wave makers might be too much so I do currently have them unplugged. I will try to post a video down below of exactly what they’re doing although I’m not sure you can post videos on r2r. It is now been roughly a day and a half and they are still not swimming freely throughout the tank as I said prior, they are just swimming from corner to corner sometimes towards the glass. I’m not sure if they are stressed or there is something wrong with them. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 70582145705__009E937C-F556-44A9-8F44-C02A5E414459.MOV
    908.3 KB
  • IMG_3560.mov
    27 MB

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel good about the nem because it’s been staying open almost constantly and actually believe it or not looks like it’s already getting bigger and loves the spot I initially put it in . The colors are very vibrant too . I need to find lighting percentages and to schedule the lights , I made another post regarding this . Hopefully I can get some good advice and feedback.
Saw your post just thought i would mention it here since i was here already. Patience is the key in reef keeping so keep on monitoring and focusing on the livestock you have currently and im sure you will be succesful again if anything is needed or you have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible grab nitrate phosphate and alkalinity to start and try and focus on getting those Stable. There are many ways to do it but for the time being i would be doing wc with quality water every 2 weeks at 10-15% the total gallon volume of the tank and sump gallon total. It will help keep anything troublesome to a min and aid in replenishing any and all trace elements needed to keep things rolling inthe right direction.
I have an api nitrate test kit , and a refractometer . Okay I will do a wc next week then . I do not have a sump though .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reliable kits that won't put you out 60+ dollars you can use salifert. For around 18 bucks they do a good job.

As for the nem, I lost a long tentacle nem early on that started just as yours. Not saying you will lose it but for sure get those lights dialed in and throw it a direct feeding maybe once a week. Pretty sure mine was starving when my tank was new.
Okay I’ll look into those . What do you feed your nem ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw your post just thought i would mention it here since i was here already. Patience is the key in reef keeping so keep on monitoring and focusing on the livestock you have currently and im sure you will be succesful again if anything is needed or you have any questions please feel free to reach out.
Thank you very much I appreciate it .

Upvote 1

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll look into those . What do you feed your nem ?
I would say frozen mysis would be a good choice and good for the clowns as well. Just thaw in some tank water or rodi and sincethe tank is a little newer try and strain the mysis if you can sometimes the frozen can contain some amounts of phosphates and nitrates that might cause spikes in your parameters.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say frozen mysis would be a good choice and good for the clowns as well. Just thaw in some tank water or rodi and sincethe tank is a little newer try and strain the mysis if you can sometimes the frozen can contain some amounts of phosphates and nitrates that might cause spikes in your parameters.
Sounds good that’s what I’m already feedback the clowns ! This morning I woke up and the clowns are separated one is by the top kinda hiding behind the filter input tube and the other one is on the other side of the tank at the bottom in between the glass and the heater .

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everybody, kind of worried about my first fish in the tank. I put in two Picasso clown fish in my 65 gallon tank. I am running to Ai prime 16 HD lights, fx4 filter, titanium heater, too mini wave makers due to them being purposed for 30 gallon tanks. I acclimated to clowns for 30 minutes prior to releasing them into the tank. I did this at about 1 PM yesterday. Since I have released them, they mainly stick in one corner or the other, but look like they’re fighting extremely hard to swim, almost as if they’re against current. At first, I thought the wave makers might be too much so I do currently have them unplugged. I will try to post a video down below of exactly what they’re doing although I’m not sure you can post videos on r2r. It is now been roughly a day and a half and they are still not swimming freely throughout the tank as I said prior, they are just swimming from corner to corner sometimes towards the glass. I’m not sure if they are stressed or there is something wrong with them. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Not sure how any assessments are being made. Need better lighting (white light) to clearly see fish and determine issues if any. As for fighting to swim, there may be excessive water flow in the tank.
Are fish breathing normal or labored?
I assume they are eating? Do they have to chase the food? If so- its one indicator of turbulent flow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how any assessments are being made. Need better lighting (white light) to clearly see fish and determine issues if any. As for fighting to swim, there may be excessive water flow in the tank.
Are fish breathing normal or labored?
I assume they are eating? Do they have to chase the food? If so- its one indicator of turbulent flow.
As I stated earlier I had unplugged both wave makers yesterday for a bit of time and it did not affect the situation positive or negatively so I plugged them back in as advised . As far as them breathing , to be completely honest I’m brand new and am not sure how to tell but if I had to guess from my observation I would say I do not think so . They have been eating , have only fed them 3 times since I got them ( I feed twice a day ) . No the food normally drops right next to them and they will grab it or just swim over it , I would not say they have to chase it by any means .

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As I stated earlier I had unplugged both wave makers yesterday for a bit of time and it did not affect the situation positive or negatively so I plugged them back in as advised . As far as them breathing , to be completely honest I’m brand new and am not sure how to tell but if I had to guess from my observation I would say I do not think so . They have been eating , have only fed them 3 times since I got them ( I feed twice a day ) . No the food normally drops right next to them and they will grab it or just swim over it , I would not say they have to chase it by any means .
Can you post another video under white lighting at least 30 seconds in length?

Upvote 0

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aluco yes and thats why i said keep monitoring. the second video the clown in the back starts the up down motion after being completely normal and in the first video clown in the back is acting completely normal. The up down might be just clowns being clowns. Looking at the nem it doesnt appear to be turbulent flow at all or that thing qould be whipping around. So not the case for to much flow. But depending on that front corner could be an area that has clashing flow....could be the reason for the up down motion body doesnt appear to be stiff or show indications of possible issues. But a good idea to keep an eye on em over the next few days.

Upvote 0

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again just keep an eye on em no reason to freak out i feel as if they are fine....there is no rapid breathing so no need for another video at 30 sec.....i would say just keep monitoring them and make sure there is plenty of surface agitation. I would imagine they are still trying to settle in. Hit me up on the message function with any other questions....happy to help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again just keep an eye on em no reason to freak out i feel as if they are fine....there is no rapid breathing so no need for another video at 30 sec.....i would say just keep monitoring them and make sure there is plenty of surface agitation. I would imagine they are still trying to settle in. Hit me up on the message function with any other questions....happy to help
Okay sounds good , thank you for all your help ! Have a great day !

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 the videos are in pretty white light where are you going with another video just curious. There are 2 and one is pretty clear with no blue to it at all....
That is ambient and not white light and im looking for any imperfections as there has been an influx of issues recently with wild caught clowns and OP originally asked are clowns ok. Assuring just that- Not sure why you are questioning anyones advice.

Upvote 0

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is ambient and not white light and im looking for any imperfections as there has been an influx of issues recently with wild caught clowns and OP originally asked are clowns ok. Assuring just that- Not sure why you are questioning anyones advice.
I was simply asking your input on why another video besides the two might be necessary is all not sure why you are being confrontational about anything at all when i even stated just curious when i posted a reply to your post. Have a good day sir no further discussion is necessary at this point. I dont know why you feel the way you do. I guess at this point we should probably go our seperate ways......remember the policy act @revhtree posted and have a good day sir.....

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was simply asking your input on why another video besides the two might be necessary is all not sure why you are being confrontational about anything at all when i even stated just curious when i posted a reply to your post. Have a good day sir no further discussion is necessary at this point. I dont know why you feel the way you do. I guess at this point we should probably go our seperate ways......remember the policy act @revhtree posted and have a good day sir.....
When I request another video , I have a reason and when you then post what you did below, it suggests that you are stating no need for another video and to ignore me. You in essence concluding nothing wrong with fish and I as a member of medic team want to confirm this with recent history of issues with clownfish. I may have taken it wrong but it sure seems like I am being pushed to the side and this is what the policy act is stating what we should not be doing
Your quote:
Again just keep an eye on em no reason to freak out i feel as if they are fine....there is no rapid breathing so no need for another video at 30 sec.....i would say just keep monitoring them and make sure there is plenty of surface agitation.Hit me up on the message function with any other questions....happy to help

Upvote 0

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 go somewhere else with your confrontational game you play with everyone....not just me i am tired of your game you play and half the information you provide is the same thing over and over for completely diff situations....you just did it again i said and directly stated to go our seperate ways but yet you keep insisting on causing a problem. Please leave me alone in fact i could care less if you are a fish medic good for you. I stated what i did and was helping the op from the beginning. Again leave me out of your quotes and leave me alone, you are the reason there is policies. I gave good info and you always have to be the one with the last word you do it on every thread. I am tired of you doing it to everyone on r2r not just myself. Like your word is superior than others. Take a chill pill and a break with all your games. You are def. Not always right i appreciate your experience but dont write me into a quote again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back