Are clowns afraid of fire shrimp?

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two paired clowns and 1 fire/blood shrimp in a 26 AIO. The fire shrimp took over the spot that the two clowns had claimed prior to shrimps arrival. The fish roamed freely the first couple of days after shrimp was added. Now they just hide in behind a rock & rarely come out. Should I get rid of the shrimp? He is larger than the fish. I also added two corals the same day. I just want my fish to swim happily & freely again. Temp 79, Sal = 1.025, Ammonia = 0, Nitrate = 5, phos = .20, PH = 8.0, dkh = 9, calcium = 390

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fire shrimp is very timid, and really hides in the rock work throughout the day, and then may come out a little more during the day.

With that being said, the clowns should not have an issue with the shrimp, because it poses no threat.

It seems weird to me that the shrimp kicked the fish out of the space they liked to hang out in, because usually the clowns will bully whatever is in its space until it goes away from the area, because they are territorial. But all fish are different.

Are the fish still swimming in the area you say they are in now, or are they stationary?

How long have you had the fish?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fire shrimp is very timid, and really hides in the rock work throughout the day, and then may come out a little more during the day.

With that being said, the clowns should not have an issue with the shrimp, because it poses no threat.

It seems weird to me that the shrimp kicked the fish out of the space they liked to hang out in, because usually the clowns will bully whatever is in its space until it goes away from the area, because they are territorial. But all fish are different.

Are the fish still swimming in the area you say they are in now, or are they stationary?

I’ve had the fish about 1 month. They are stationary. The smaller clown will wonder about the tank a more than the larger one. However, when they both come out they are doing the tail twitch dance to each other. Could that have something to do with this behavior? Also, the shrimp is not shy by any means. He is out and about constantly.

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the fish about 1 month. They are stationary. The smaller clown will wonder about the tank a more than the larger one. However, when they both come out they are doing the tail twitch dance to each other. Could that have something to do with this behavior? Also, the shrimp is not shy by any means. He is out and about constantly.
Sounds like you got an extroverted shrimp... Lol!

Did you get the clowns as a pair?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the fish about 1 month. They are stationary. The smaller clown will wonder about the tank a more than the larger one. However, when they both come out they are doing the tail twitch dance to each other. Could that have something to do with this behavior? Also, the shrimp is not shy by any means. He is out and about constantly

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got an extroverted shrimp... Lol!

Did you get the clowns as a mated pair?
No. they are tiny, so I’m assuming they are young. They were in the tank together at lfs. They are always together and don’t fight except for the occasional tail flapping dance, but now they are split up. One on each side of the tank. This all started when the shrimp was introduced. The fish don’t mess with each other. It’s almost like the bigger clown is protecting their home or something.

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. they are tiny, so I’m assuming they are young. They were in the tank together at lfs. They are always together and don’t fight except for the occasional tail flapping dance, but now they are split up. One on each side of the tank. This all started when the shrimp was introduced. The fish don’t mess with each other. It’s almost like the bigger clown is protecting their home or something.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. This just sounds like normal clown behavior. Hopefully they start swimming around again.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back