Clown Being aggressive to my new fire Fish.

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 33 gallon tank with one ocellaris clown fish and a couple ghost shrimp.

I Recently added a fire Fish. The clown and fire fish were good for a couple hours but then the clown started dive bombing him. I put the clown on a breeder box in the tank “jail” for a day and a half. I also rearranged the tank. When I let him out he was more aggressive than before. Anytime the fire fish would come out he would case him down. I tried chasing the clown fish away with the net every time when tried to get the fire fish but it didn’t work so I ended up putting the clown back in jail.

What should I do now?

I thought about adding another clown to displace the agression. Or should I just take the clown fish back (I’ve only had the clown for 2 weeks). I really like the fire fish!!! he is very social for a fire fish and is out of his cave almost all the time when the clown was in Jail.

I am very new this is my first salt water tank so any help would be appreciated .

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish are wired for dominance. Sometimes this can be mitigated by the steps that you have taken, by adding a smaller clown, or other steps, but its still a toss up because it is a clownfish. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
R

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are wired for dominance. Sometimes this can be mitigated by the steps that you have taken, by adding a smaller clown, or other steps, but its still a toss up because it is a clownfish. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you
I’m just not sure if adding another clown would direct the agression or if he would just be aggressive to both fish
Keep the fire fish ditch the clown. IMO they are jerks always biting somebody to include the hand that feeds

Keep the fire fish ditch the clown. IMO they are jerks always biting somebody to include the hand that feeds.
What fish would you pair with the fire fish?

Would you get a different set of clowns and hope for a different result or are they all this territorial in a 33 (smaller ish) tank?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep clowns that bite for sure… firefish are super cool. Maybe take the clown back, let the firefish settle and if you want clowns try with a pair of babies. Super cute and nice!!!

…until they are not since clowns will be clowns and nemo lied… clowns are not sweet they have a bad habit of biting everything…

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used the mirror method when adding new fish (putting a mirror up against the glass so they get mad at the potential threat of a new fish of there own species) but I have never tried it for clowns, works pretty well with tangs might be worth a shot tho

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you
I’m just not sure if adding another clown would direct the agression or if he would just be aggressive to both fish

Adding another clown could redirect the aggression. There are many things that you can do to mitigate the aggression, but there is really not a way to know for sure. It is recommended that you have back up plan(s). ...or get a second tank! :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually add two at the same time of different sizes or very shortly after the first clown. Ive never had issues with my clowns bullying other fish, Ive got 3 sets in different tanks. Maroon pair in one, a Darwin and black ice in one, and a blood orange and regular occ in another!

OP
OP
R

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually add two at the same time of different sizes or very shortly after the first clown. Ive never had issues with my clowns bullying other fish, Ive got 3 sets in different tanks. Maroon pair in one, a Darwin and black ice in one, and a blood orange and regular occ in another!
I’ve only had this one for two weeks is that a short enough time to get another one and see if they pair?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had this one for two weeks is that a short enough time to get another one and see if they pair?
Yeah, just go for a clown significantly smaller. I usually do one about half the size of the first or close to there and theyve paired without a problem. Here are my 3 pairs between my 3 tanks, all different kinds and sizes to show you what Im talking about

IMG_3115.jpeg IMG_3064.jpeg IMG_2924.jpeg IMG_2917.jpeg IMG_2891.jpeg IMG_2890.png

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black and white ones are full adults. The orange ones are juveniles. The maroon pair Im not so sure, shes about half her adult size and he is half her size

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, just go for a clown significantly smaller. I usually do one about half the size of the first or close to there and theyve paired without a problem. Here are my 3 pairs between my 3 tanks, all different kinds and sizes to show you what Im talking about

IMG_3115.jpeg
Nice taste in clowns! They're all pretty, but I particularly like this pair, and went for something similar myself- female black ocellaris, male black storm.

For OP: clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning they start as one sex and then, under the right circumstances, change to the other. They grow into males first, then, if no females are present, the most dominant male will become a female. Usually that's the largest one.
To make pairing easier, it's best to get a pair that are drastically different sizes, so that they'll very quickly determine which one is dominant. Two males of similar sizes will fight for awhile to figure it out, two females of any size will murder each other.
IIRC it takes a couple months for a clownfish kept alone to shift into a female? The safest option is always to get a much smaller one than your current one, as that will definitely be a male- they have to be a certain age and size to become female.

All that said, clownfish are semi-aggressive, and firefish are timid. It's best to add semi-aggressive fish after timid fish, not before. If you prefer the firefish, you should probably keep the firefish, rehome the clown, and stick with minimally aggressive fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice taste in clowns! They're all pretty, but I particularly like this pair, and went for something similar myself- female black ocellaris, male black storm.

For OP: clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning they start as one sex and then, under the right circumstances, change to the other. They grow into males first, then, if no females are present, the most dominant male will become a female. Usually that's the largest one.
To make pairing easier, it's best to get a pair that are drastically different sizes, so that they'll very quickly determine which one is dominant. Two males of similar sizes will fight for awhile to figure it out, two females of any size will murder each other.
IIRC it takes a couple months for a clownfish kept alone to shift into a female? The safest option is always to get a much smaller one than your current one, as that will definitely be a male- they have to be a certain age and size to become female.

All that said, clownfish are semi-aggressive, and firefish are timid. It's best to add semi-aggressive fish after timid fish, not before. If you prefer the firefish, you should probably keep the firefish, rehome the clown, and stick with minimally aggressive fish.
Thank you :) I do love clownfish. Vegas (my black one) is 20, she was re homed. Spade (the white one) was one of a few surviving males in a clownfish only tank. He is 6! They are both the calmest clowns Ive ever seen!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP if you want clowns I would maybe place the clown you have in a breeder box until the firefish is comfortable and get a clown half the size and release the little one first. Ive done this before with my male maroon. Kept him in the main display and added the female later in a box then released her. Or maybe re home the clown and let the firefish get comfortable and then get clowns again. Theres also a lot of very fun peaceful small nano fish that would do well with the firefish if you decide no clowns.

OP
OP
R

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3115.jpeg IMG_3064.jpeg IMG_2924.jpeg IMG_2917.jpeg IMG_2891.jpeg IMG_2890.png
Thank you so much! This is really helpful!

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with one of my Clown, I am going to name him fish killler. Anything added I am still thinking that he is the reason for their death. One royal Gamma died due to he was harassing her all day. Two fire fish were added last week and now gone because he picked on them all day. He nibs on my hand b2b when I do any maintenance. I bought three different anemones but no help ‍♂️

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with one of my Clown, I am going to name him fish killler. Anything added I am still thinking that he is the reason for their death. One royal Gamma died due to he was harassing her all day. Two fire fish were added last week and now gone because he picked on them all day. He nibs on my hand b2b when I do any maintenance. I bought three different anemones but no help ‍♂️
Sounds like your clown is probably a she by now with the aggression! Do you have another one to pair her with? Sometimes that can help

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a mirror on the side of the tank for a day or two . Distract the clown . And feed small amounts throughout the day for a few days

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the fire fish ditch the clown. IMO they are jerks always biting somebody to include the hand that feeds.
I’ve found that clowns usually are territorial and can be very aggressive. I currently have one and he attacks me every time I put my hand in.
If you want a peaceful aquarium rehome the clown.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back