Are my levels “good”?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your right its at 100, dang, why is fish keeping so hard, i thought i would be able to tell if nitrates were high if cyano and other algae was growing, but there is none in my tank.
Like I said I used Salifert Mag for some time before getting the Hanna, I wanted a more precise measurement with numbers than a color between 25-50, 50-100. I use Salifert for Calcium still and have Hanna for backup, Salifert for alk and Hanna for backup and Salifert for potassium, no backup. I like Salifert and Hanna, I tried most test kits and whittled it down to these two for my favorites

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. I don’t mean to be ignorant but would i be fine just putting like 3 total drops into the tank in order to somewhat lower the phos levels. My clownfish has been acting weird and breathing heavy and i would like to relieve him a little.
With such a small tank I would do a 50 or 60% water change.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im most likely going to do a water change tomorrow and vaccum the heck outa my sand and hopefully that will fix alot of things.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch man you have any prime on hand? You need to proceed with a water change like now

For what purpose? There's no reason at all to believe the wild claims by Seachem that Prime does anything to nitrate. They fully admit they never tested it and do not know how that would work anyway. But what the heck, some users(s) thought it was useful, so let's claim it in advertising!!!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said I used Salifert Mag for some time before getting the Hanna, I wanted a more precise measurement with numbers than a color between 25-50, 50-100. I use Salifert for Calcium still and have Hanna for backup, Salifert for alk and Hanna for backup and Salifert for potassium, no backup. I like Salifert and Hanna, I tried most test kits and whittled it down to these two for my favorites
Hanna checkers are only advised where higher resolution matters, for example their Phosphates ULR checker is required when you try to differentiate between 0.01 to 0.05. Pretty much all other checkers are more of a "nice to have" kind of thing, but also come with more variables that can go wrong and influence the results, thus making regular test kits better.

However, in case of OP - not only he'll need a higher range checker to be able to measure it which will become redundant later on, it also doesn't really have any advantage over a regular test kits either.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what purpose? There's no reason at all to believe the wild claims by Seachem that Prime does anything to nitrate. They fully admit they never tested it and do not know how that would work anyway. But what the heck, some users(s) thought it was useful, so let's claim it in advertising!!!
So your saying Prime does not bind and detoxify nitrates as claimed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying Prime does not bind and detoxify nitrates as claimed?

Most definitely I am making that claim, yes.

I discuss extensively my detailed rationale here:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back