OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I do not know if the 510 ppm calcium is real or test error, but the value is fine and I wouldn’t agonize over it.
Yeah not worried if those are my levels. But when it seems everyone needs to dose I want to make sure I’m not in like the low 300s and should be dosing

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright home from work trip and just tested 3 times. With meticulousness like it was my chemistry thesis, lol.

530 was my tank
506 was a fresh batch of salt water
364 was straight ro water

Thoughts?

Also attached a US hardiness map. Where I live is in red, so wondering if anyone who chimed in lives in a red zone as well.

IMG_5003.jpeg IMG_5004.jpeg IMG_5005.jpeg IMG_5006.jpeg

Last edited:

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess at this point I need to try a different companies calcium test. Anyone you guys like?
I use Fauna Marin Ca and Mg test kit:

1714615265387.jpeg

The results I get are inline with ICP results, Mg as well.
But it did take me number of tests to figure out all the steps.
You can use fresh saltwater mix to figure if you are doing it correct.

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna test kits. I rinsed out all testing vials with tap water after testing.... I quickly found that this was causing falsely elevated Ca test results in the following test, a single drop of evaporated tap water in the vial can make a huge difference.

I now use only RO/DI water to rise out the Ca test vail and the cap after testing... problem solved.

Also, yes... the pipette has two stops when pressing the plunger. Push down to the first stop to suck up your tank water... push down to the second stop when adding the water to the test vial. If you look at the pippete tip when you suck up the water the level of water within the tip should be exactly at the 3rd line from the pointy tip

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of town now till Wednesday, to get the number of the bottle. I did watch a few vids on the tester and I could be using the micro pipet wrong. Doing a test with it on a batch of saltwater and the tank when I get home to see if its user error.

When watching the videos I saw the micro pipet had a small attachment and don't feel that I have that need to see if I do. And yes check on plunging all the way down, this is a very likely possibility . Hoping that the only issue, I have some calcium to does on stand by if I am actually really low.
RE: small attachment. I assume referring to the tip that attaches to the pipet? Strongly advise. Use it. As other shared only push plunger in to first stop to take sample. If done right there is a mark on the tip where you can visually confirm the correct amount of saltwater has been captured. When emptying the pipet you push the plunger in all the way to assure it all comes out.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ro water is 0 ppm tds?

I don’t know if the kit works on that, but it certainly is not accurate if it is.
Some CA and Mg passes thru the RO/DI membranes.

My test will read over 600 if I use my zero TDS RO/DI in the Hanna CA test. Must use vapor distilled water as part of the test. I have to rinse my vials with distilled water else the CA test will read high. So will the Mg test. Others will find RO/DI fine, it all depends on the source.

If I rinse the vials with distilled and use distilled as part of the test the reading is spot on and incredibly consistent. Also if I check against RedSea they are always within 10-20ppt of each other. I prefer the Hanna as being easier if used correctly. I don’t like titration too much swirling :)

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Hanna sent me…when I had issues

Below are some tips from the aquariums manager which may be helpful.

Calcium Checker Troubleshooting Tips

1. Never rinse your cuvettes with tap water or saltwater

2. Use pure vapor distilled water from your local pharmacy at C1 phase. RODI water from home filtration units may not be suitable for this test calcium can easily permeate through your membranes.

3. Clean your cuvettes with distilled or deionized water absent of Calcium that is going to be used for C1 phase dilution.

4. Measure out 9 ml of distilled or deionized water for C1 phases

5. Make sure no excess aquarium sample saltwater is on the tip of the pipette. Only administer the saltwater that is sucked into the pipette tip.

Respectfully,

Kevin C Costa

Aquarium and Aquaculture Manager

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Went to a LFS to grab a different test and compare. All the had was an API but was not expensive so I got it. Came out to 480 for calcium. Think I’m gonna get a gallon of distilled water and rinse/soack all my Hanna glass tubes.

Let me also ask is there anyone not dosing calcium. That’s part of this journey as everyone I know doses it .

Attachments

• IMG_5008.jpeg
    IMG_5008.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back