Are Pea pufferfish possible for reefs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kbnh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kbnh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2021
Messages
191
Reaction score
157
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to add freshwater pea puffers to a reef tank with proper acclimation in a similar way to freshwater mollies?
 
Is it possible to add freshwater pea puffers to a reef tank with proper acclimation in a similar way to freshwater mollies?
I doubt it, but I don't think it has ever been tested, so I can't say for certain. I doubt that it's possible because pea puffers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) are a true freshwater species, whereas mollies, guppies, etc. are brackish fish that are highly adaptable to and frequently found in a wide range of salinities (from pure freshwater to pure marine) - pea puffers are only found in freshwater.

Edit: tested scientifically (I'm sure a hobbyist has tried it at some point).
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new