Are photosynthetic sea fans beginner-friendly?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rule of thumb that I have always gone by to distinguish between photosynthetic gorgonians and NPS gorgs is the color of the polyps. If they have white polyps, like the popular orange and red gorgs, I avoid buying them, because they are NPS. Brown polyps are usually photosynthetic and easier gorgs to keep. Personally, I have not run into an instance that this hasn't proven to be true. Certainly could be exceptions to the rule.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rule of thumb that I have always gone by to distinguish between photosynthetic gorgonians and NPS gorgs is the color of the polyps. If they have white polyps, like the popular orange and red gorgs, I avoid buying them, because they are NPS. Brown polyps are usually photosynthetic and easier gorgs to keep. Personally, I have not run into an instance that this hasn't proven to be true. Certainly could be exceptions to the rule.
Thank you for the tip!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyps on the Grube's are white-pinkish, though, and not really brown -- perhaps a tannish pink. Maybe they lighten up more under higher lighting conditions; Mine is growing up to the upper level of my Evo.

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photosynthetic tend to be tidal and enjoy high light and flow. They grow well but they do shed mucus and I even need to turkey baste them sometimes. I also feed phyto and copepods everyday.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but non photo ones can be kept in home aquarium. I have a friend who grows a nice yellow one.
I recently got my order from this site and yes they're not a robbery site. Lol. I didn't buy a 1/4" frag of something for $100. Yay! Lol.
In my order was a purple stony gargantuan with white polyps im pretty sure is photosynthetic. These are my opinions and reports. Lol. I don't wish to argue only state my exp.
D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly can keep non photosynthetic corals in a home tank. But not for long. They will start starving as soon as you get them.

Those corals should live forever but in a trank I doubt you could keep them for a year or two. I hope so, But I doubt it.

Of course I could be wrong as I am not the God of Non Photosynthetic sea fans. :rolleyes:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyps on the Grube's are white-pinkish, though, and not really brown -- perhaps a tannish pink. Maybe they lighten up more under higher lighting conditions; Mine is growing up to the upper level of my Evo.
I have had a Grube's. Compare them to the red and orange NPS that have distinctively white polyps. Much whiter than the Grubes, IMO anyway. I am not saying that you can't keep NPS corals, I said that I avoid them. Just my experience.

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to take current pictures of everything last weekend. Here are the gorgonians I have. The 3 on the frag rack are the NPS ones and I've only had them for about a week so I put them there to monitor them before I decide on final placements. The photosynthetic ones have all been in the tank for at least a year and started out as sticks.
IMG_3809[1].JPG
IMG_3820[1].JPG
IMG_3827[1].JPG
IMG_3859[1].JPG
IMG_3858[1].JPG
@Trouble1375 looking good!....I just got one of the orange (with white polyps) and purple (with white polyps) that you have (on the frag rack)...they were sold to me as non-photosynthetic...which either is fine with me because I feed heavily and use benereef, phyto, oyster feast type foods...any pointers in keeping them open and looking good?...by the way - tank has been setup for 2 years....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back