Beginner Chemistry

DexterKarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo with 12.5 gallons due to rock displacement. I did the Dr. Tim's cycling and after Ammonia and Nitrite 0 for a couple days, did water change and added two 1 & 1.25 inch clowns 3 weeks ago. I have since added 4 hermits, a banded troccus snail, and a cerith snail, and two nassarius snails. I also have 3 beginner coral frags, a GSP, and two zoas (total guilt buy from a very nice shop owner). These stocking choices look aggressive and not my intention.. a bit embarassed. I do 2 gallon water changes weekly. Ugly stage has varied. I seem at the moment to control well by limiting light to 6 hours and then trying to stick to blues.

Given the tests I have this is my parameters now.
Ammonia 0 consistent with API and Red Sea tests
Nitrite 0.1 consistently with Red Sea test
Nitrate can vary between 5 and 10 Red Sea test
ALK is 7.5 with Red Sea test
Phosphate is 0.25 but very hard to read with Salifert test (potential error high).

What should I focus on if anything. I get new tanks vary a lot. Just wanting to cruise for a while and encourage stability. I know those phosphates are high, but not sure warrant anything really. I also think I need to invest in better tests for some of these. Phosphate in particular as the Salifert test is not easy to read.

Any thoughts very welcome.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in your parameters seem extremely alarming to my eye - keep up with water changes to keep phosphates under control, and perhaps consider adding an algae scrubber to passively manage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back