Are Rock anemone worth it?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty tight packed tank and was looking for a beautiful anemone and I came across a rock flower anemone. I was wondering if it would hurt any of my other corals or anything like that.
I have a large colony of Xenia, starburst polyp, tube coral, small zoas frag, decent trumpet coral growin, frogspawn in the front on the substrate, duncan coral, along with a leaf looking coral I have yet to identify. Also I have 2 clown fish.I figured rock flower anemone could do great right on my substrate! Orrrr should I go with acans?!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flowers dont sting as bad as other anemones but they do still sting whatever they touch. Fwiw i think rock nems are my favorite part of saltwater tanks and they are definately the easiest anemones to keep (other than aptasia)

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flowers dont sting as bad as other anemones but they do still sting whatever they touch. Fwiw i think rock nems are my favorite part of saltwater tanks and they are definately the easiest anemones to keep (other than aptasia)
Would he bother any of my other corals if I leave him in my substrate? Or should I move them?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they dont move to where they are touching your corals all will be well.

Ive never had a rock nem stay in the sand. They like rocks. One guy on here has had luck putting them in an end cap for some pvc and filling that with small chunks of rock and then burying that in the sand.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have around 15 RFA’s. Some move, some don’t. The only corals I have seen them do permanent damage to are LPS, they will get stung down to the bare white skeleton. But, I have one RFA sitting in the middle of a patch of zoas and everything is fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back