Are Seahorses Aquatic Chameleons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KLR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
53
Location
Williamston,NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was looking at my seahorses today I observed some physical characteristics and activity that seahorses have that chameleons also have.

This is what I saw:
Independently moving eyes
Changing color in order to camouflage to their environment or surroundings
A tail that curls up under the body
A tail that is used as an anchor or extra arm or leg for support if you will
Skull that is almost triangular, but not sharp edges, sorry for the lack of scientific words here
Large eyes in comparison to the rest of the body that are very near to the mouth
Stalking prey and then quickly devouring them once they are within reachable distance


So my question is, can anyone tell me if seahorses and chameleons are some how related, even if it was millions of years ago? They share so many characteristics it is strange if they are not somehow related in my opinion.

If you have any sources that discuss this please post them as well!
 
Last edited:
Interesting thread, I've always thought about how their eyes moved like one, but never thought about the rest of the proof you posted. I assume its highly possible that they could be related, how, Im not sure.
 
Cool observation!
 
Interesting thread, I've always thought about how their eyes moved like one, but never thought about the rest of the proof you posted. I assume its highly possible that they could be related, how, Im not sure.
Yea they share a lot of characteristics that are really only seen in the two animals.

Cool observation!
Thanks! I hope there is a biologist on here that can provide me with some scientific research results on the subject.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new