Are Seahorses Aquatic Chameleons?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was looking at my seahorses today I observed some physical characteristics and activity that seahorses have that chameleons also have.

This is what I saw:
Independently moving eyes
Changing color in order to camouflage to their environment or surroundings
A tail that curls up under the body
A tail that is used as an anchor or extra arm or leg for support if you will
Skull that is almost triangular, but not sharp edges, sorry for the lack of scientific words here
Large eyes in comparison to the rest of the body that are very near to the mouth
Stalking prey and then quickly devouring them once they are within reachable distance

So my question is, can anyone tell me if seahorses and chameleons are some how related, even if it was millions of years ago? They share so many characteristics it is strange if they are not somehow related in my opinion.

If you have any sources that discuss this please post them as well!

Last edited:

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread, I've always thought about how their eyes moved like one, but never thought about the rest of the proof you posted. I assume its highly possible that they could be related, how, Im not sure.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool observation!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread, I've always thought about how their eyes moved like one, but never thought about the rest of the proof you posted. I assume its highly possible that they could be related, how, Im not sure.
Yea they share a lot of characteristics that are really only seen in the two animals.

Cool observation!
Thanks! I hope there is a biologist on here that can provide me with some scientific research results on the subject.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back