Are seneye home/reef worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dunnman39
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dunnman39

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2016
Messages
239
Reaction score
26
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the seneye home/reef devices and was looking for some reviews on them. Are they worth it? What exactly do they do?
 
I remember when they first came out. They were overseas. UK I think. The reef one tests free ammonia, ph and temperature, water level, lux, par, kelvin. Like I said fairly new to the U.S. market so you'll have very fewer reviews on them then other controllers. Also would like to add that's all you can test and do with them they aren't modular but you can connect them to your smart phone and such. Since it's a first gen you can't test for nitrate and nitrite. And most mature reef tanks don't even bother testing for ammonia. So your basically down to ph and temperature. You have to change the ph pad or whatever it is once every 30 days and a new one is $10. So $10 a month on top of the $200 you have to spend to buy it. If you want it to connect to wifi you have to buy the wifi connection for it too that's expensive too. I guess you can say they originally made it for ponds and freshwater, so they added a couple of more features and made it for saltwater too.
 
Seneye is ok, but after time you're not going to want to pay a subscription fee for the slides, so you're left with a temp/par meter. It's also not a quantum meter, so it's based off the lux measurement iirc, so range of error is greater.

There's a new one at brs atm, for 195$, a usb powered quantum apogee. Probably the next best thing in price since the others are all jacked up in price.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new