Are tangs social or solo?

Coral Memere

There's always room in the sand!
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
2,783
Location
The woods of Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked through the threads and seen all the questions about which tangs are more or less aggressive and what size tanks they need. I'm still left looking for hints aside from the mirror suggestions I'll be using as soon as I hit "post", here. I'm still wondering:
Are tangs preferably social or solo? More specifically, hippo tangs.

I'm combining rescued tanks into a 220g (and ultimately a 500g). I have 2 hippos in two tanks and one is with a yellow tang. How can I expect the hippos get along? They're both around the 4"-5" size. Would they prefer to be solo or are they happy enough with another of their kind in the tank (like Pixar says.. hahahaha)?
 
Generally, in aquaria tangs will be territorial so when adding them together an aquarist should always be ready to rehome someone if needed. Individual personality is probably the most important variable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new