Are the Silicone Joints on This Used Tank Intact?

Lovergasoline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acquired a used 37 gallon (tall) tank. I notice the silicone at he joint looks different than my previous tank: I'm wondering if there;s some separation going on or if the joint has been stressed which may result in (premature) failure. It looks like some of the silicone is showing evidence of separating until about halfway through the joint??? Can't be sure.

The reason I acquired a used tank is previous 37 tank failed and leaked. I've searched for weeks on end and could not find this size tank anywhere locally, new or used. I was told the manufacture of 37" high tanks (not one of the most common sizes) had ceased during the pandemic. I located a guy selling his used tank and was able to negotiate an acceptable price, delivered door-to-door. I'd asked him to place strips of cardboard along the glass edges so he had it well packed and wrapped and I didn't remove all the packaging on the street.

If the pics aren't clear, detailed, or zoomed in enough I can take and post additional clearer pics.
Thanks a bunch for any input.

Below: Front of tank, joint at right side.
1689883668238.png

Front glass panel overlaying the right side panel. Notice the lighter tone of the joint on the left side?
1689883737509.png

This is the other side of the joint in the pics above, and shows the exposed edge of the front glass panel.
1689883524679.png

Front of tank, joint at left side.
1689883806319.png

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to see might be filling it with water slowly but I could be wrong on that

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back