Are there any gobies that can help me out with amphipods in nano tank?

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a nano tank with pair of clowns but recentyl I had an outbreak of amphipods, which are getting bigger in population and size.

I know they are nothing to worry about but there is a lot of them crawling and it is not a nice scene and I'm afraid they are messing with my corals ,especially zoa.

I know wrasse is best choice but I don't have a room for them and they can grown.

What about smaller gobies, like neon or yellow clown, will they eat amphipods or they are too big bite for them?

Any traps that can work?

Thanks and happy reefing!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a nano tank with pair of clowns but recentyl I had an outbreak of amphipods, which are getting bigger in population and size.

I know they are nothing to worry about but there is a lot of them crawling and it is not a nice scene and I'm afraid they are messing with my corals ,especially zoa.

I know wrasse is best choice but I don't have a room for them and they can grown.

What about smaller gobies, like neon or yellow clown, will they eat amphipods or they are too big bite for them?

Any traps that can work?

Thanks and happy reefing!
Multiple fish eat amphipods. In fact, most wrasses, diamond gobies, and mandarin dragonets are just some of them; for some it’s essential for their diet in fact. Cleaner shrimp likes them too! :)

When you say "nano tank" what tank size are we talking?

I have never heard the complaint having too many of these ones in your tank before :) What a luxury problem to have

Last edited:
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple fish eat amphipods. In fact, most wrasses, diamond gobies, and mandarin dragonets are just some of them; for some it’s essential for their diet in fact. Cleaner shrimp likes them too! :)

When you say "nano tank" what tank size are we talking?

I have never heard the complaint having too many of these ones in your tank before :) What a luxury problem to have

It is 12G, with lot of corals and one pair of clowns which is usually near 6 head torch coral which they are hosting. I think there is a room for one more small fish, I'm thinking beetween neon goby or clown goby, but I wonder will they eat pods? Aren't they too large for them?

Diamond goby will grow big.

Thanks for the answers!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods are omnivore scavengers, so best strategy would be to decrease feeding and vacuum substrate more often if you really have aversion to pods.
you could try pod motel or something like that and although it’s not technically a trap, they will populate it and then you can remove them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I think I will cut with reef roids for a while, should I keep adding zooplanktons?
It's mainly the tiny particals of fish food detritus and algae that they eat. Just make sure you're not over feeding your fish. The pods will come and go and they are really good for your biome.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back