Are these Clams on this Snail?

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This snail came as a hitchhiker on some live rock. Is this a clam attached to the snails shell?
73D72F7A-6AF9-4EE2-B82C-09AD15A3525B.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Looks like clams or mussels (filter feeders) Most will usually die off and their shells will stay
Or maybe oysters as well. OP could try to keep them alive with Phytoplankton dosing (which would also benefits other filter-feeders and pods), but that would elevate nutrient levels.
P.S. I also spot barnacles on the snail. I believe their care requirements are similar to those of non-photosynthetic bivalves (ex. the clams, mussels, and oysters that have been mentioned on this thread).
...on some live rock...
Where did you obtain the rock?

OP
OP
HTXReefer

HTXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe oysters as well. OP could try to keep them alive with Phytoplankton dosing (which would also benefits other filter-feeders and pods), but that would elevate nutrient levels.
P.S. I also spot barnacles on the snail. I believe their care requirements are similar to those of non-photosynthetic bivalves (ex. the clams, mussels, and oysters that have been mentioned on this thread).

Where did you obtain the rock?
I got the rock from KP Aquatic.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar bivalve attached to a Trochus that's been in the tank for nearly 4 months. It's doubled in size. I do feed phyto!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back