Are these Dino’s?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leg_day
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

leg_day

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 13, 2025
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling what I thought to be some serious hair algae for a couple months now. Tank is almost a year old. Figured I’d get a microscope and have a closer look. If it is Dino’s any idea what type?
IMG_2392.jpeg
 
Been battling what I thought to be some serious hair algae for a couple months now. Tank is almost a year old. Figured I’d get a microscope and have a closer look. If it is Dino’s any idea what type?
IMG_2392.jpeg
Possibly Ostreopsis
 
So definitely Dino’s? Is ostreopsis a tougher one to deal with?
Maybe tougher, but seems like one of species that responds to UV light treatment.
 
Ok over the past couple days I have turkey basted and scrubbed the **** out of the rock work, replaced the filter floss and added a UV light to the HOB filter.

I also added some phytoplankton and microbactor7. In the mail I’ve got some copepods coming and a green killing machine uv light cuz I’m thinking the one in the hob isn’t strong enough.

I did a 25% water change yesterday after scrubbing rock work and then ran some tests on water:

Temp: 77
Salinity: 1.026
Phos: .51
Nitrate: 9.6
Alk: 10.7

The phosphate levels were alarming but likely test error? I noticed I lost a little powder when testing.

I ran another round of tests today:

Phos: .02
Nitrate: 9.7
Alk: 9.6

Are these phosphate swings possible? I’m gonna try dosing some NeoPhos today and will be monitoring water chemistry daily for the next couple weeks.
 
Definitely dinos. There is a FB group that is super helpful for dealing with dinos
 
Ok I have tried a lot of different things to combat this to no avail. Every time I try to scrub and siphon it would help but always come back in a couple days just as bad. I had 2 UV lights running that didn’t seem to help much. I also ran a 3 day blackout, which definitely cleared up the tank but the stuff was still in there everywhere , just a lot smaller.

So this led me to think perhaps it isn’t Dino’s anymore but is actually something like lymbya Cyanobacteria. So I started dosing hydrogen peroxide at night but it didn’t seem to do much.

I’m currently 4 days into only running Flux RX and am changing out filter floss when it’s dirty. This stuff is the longest it’s ever been now, but I’m going to sit through the full 2 week treatment before i figure out my next step. Can you guys confirm it’s Dino’s with these pictures?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2450.jpeg
    IMG_2450.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2448.jpeg
    IMG_2448.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 19

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new