Are these Eagle Eyes?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a decent frag of zoas from my LFS but he couldn't remember the name of them. From researching photos they look like Eagle Eyes to me, but I'm looking for a second (or third) opinion. Thanks in advance!

1107211342.jpg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Kudos to you for bringing a possible ID to the table. It's nice for a change.

Eagle eyes and watermelons are both 'buckets' strains where there's a number of incredibly similar strains where the only difference is the orange. In most cases that orange isn't going to morph. I'd agree with what you have there being eagle eyes and they can range all the way to a yellowish-gold. Watermelons are generally more orangeish-red. The jungle juice are distinct from the other two varieties due to their noticeably purple/blue center. Which, again, doesn't often morph.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you for bringing a possible ID to the table. It's nice for a change.

Eagle eyes and watermelons are both 'buckets' strains where there's a number of incredibly similar strains where the only difference is the orange. In most cases that orange isn't going to morph. I'd agree with what you have there being eagle eyes and they can range all the way to a yellowish-gold. Watermelons are generally more orangeish-red. The jungle juice are distinct from the other two varieties due to their noticeably purple/blue center. Which, again, doesn't often morph.
Thanks for the feedback! I actually have the watermelons too (I believe) and the orange ring seems a bit wider on those compared to the eagle eyes. The watermelons have been growing like a weed! I started with 3 polyps and I'm probably up to 12-15 not even 3 months later. The eagle eyes were a bit ticked off when I first added them to the tank but they've slowly come back around and seem to be much happier now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back