Are these flatworms?

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved an Acan that had got knocked over and saw one of these crawl off it and into the sand. Then I noticed more in the sandbed and got this picture of one.
Can anyone help ID? Benign or not? Thanks!
6810BA0D-CD2B-493A-80D3-75429152CB29.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture seems to be of a limpet ot chiton (difficult to tell without seeing the top). The do not move quickly, so I doubt this is what you saw crawl off the acan. If you see more ( especially ones that are moving around), try to remove 1 or 2 from the tank and photograph them in a small container of water

OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture seems to be of a limpet ot chiton (difficult to tell without seeing the top). The do not move quickly, so I doubt this is what you saw crawl off the acan. If you see more ( especially ones that are moving around), try to remove 1 or 2 from the tank and photograph them in a small container of water
That makes sense, thank you. The one that was on the Acan was smaller than this chiton and I thought it looked different. Is it possible that it was a small bristle worm? i have a healthy population of them in this tank. At any rate, I’ll try to get a picture of the critter I initially saw.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, thank you. The one that was on the Acan was smaller than this chiton and I thought it looked different. Is it possible that it was a small bristle worm? i have a healthy population of them in this tank. At any rate, I’ll try to get a picture of the critter I initially saw.
I would guess an amphipod.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the new picture out, its partially buried in the skeleton, has legs like a bristle worm but not exactly the same look and I’ve never seen one this small before. The amphipod completely dwarfed this thing.
No idea. Very possibly the end of a bristleworm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back