Are these green palythoa toxic?

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi could someone tell me if these are the pest highly toxic palythoa?
If so best way to remove them off my rock?
Thank you

D894D2C1-B5F8-4B91-8E57-1C7194EC5382.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those ones are one of the more toxic guys last I checked.
They aren’t going to poison anything unless you directly damage them or start fragging without being careful. I’d be more worried of how fast they spread before I’d worry about getting poisoned.
I had the same question about removal when dealing with my captain jerks, I wound up just leaving them be. I’ll link the thread, it had a lot of good ways to safely remove them:

OP
OP
R

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes these paly's are toxic. The best way to go is to remove the rock as a whole. It is really hard to scrape all the guys off.
I wouldn’t scrape them off anyway to save my rock?
Those ones are one of the more toxic guys last I checked.
They aren’t going to poison anything unless you directly damage them or start fragging without being careful. I’d be more worried of how fast they spread before I’d worry about getting poisoned.
I had the same question about removal when dealing with my captain jerks, I wound up just leaving them be. I’ll link the thread, it had a lot of good ways to safely remove them:
I’d prefer them out my tank is there a way I can get them off my rock without sending myself to hospital ? There on another rock which I can take outside and chip the part of rock off with them on.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t scrape them off anyway to save my rock?

I’d prefer them out my tank is there a way I can get them off my rock without sending myself to hospital ? There on another rock which I can take outside and chip the part of rock off with them on.
If you want to chip them off I recommend a flathead screw driver/chisel and a hammer.

Taking the rock out, scraping them off with a fresh razor underwater (to contain palytoxin and prevent it from being airborne) then using an abrasive like steel wool should remove them safely and effectively. Make sure to use a mask (n95 preferred) to reduce palytoxin inhalation, if you get light headed/nauseous get outta there! don’t forget to do this OUTSIDE in a well ventilated area, preferably with a fan to help circulation

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take PPE seriously with these guys. Gloves (double layer or thick ones, goggles (not glasses as I have been quirted around my glasses), mask (as we should all have them around the house now). Then take out the rock and cut the rock around the palys. Try to avoid cutting the palys and less issues with toxins.
Then when you think you have carved around them, rinse rock well in saltwater and replace.

If they spread as mine did all over the tank, I just did a full rock swap and got rid of the rock infested stuff by acid bath and sun.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and when done, wash up really well and throw clothes in laundry. Do not wipe face with any hand or towel that went near rock or palys. Trust me on this one!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and when done, wash up really well and throw clothes in laundry. Do not wipe face with any hand or towel that went near rock or palys. Trust me on this one!
Treat messing with zoas exactly the same as if you were cutting ghost peppers. Don’t rub your face even after washing your hands!

OP
OP
R

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to chip them off I recommend a flathead screw driver/chisel and a hammer.

Taking the rock out, scraping them off with a fresh razor underwater (to contain palytoxin and prevent it from being airborne) then using an abrasive like steel wool should remove them safely and effectively. Make sure to use a mask (n95 preferred) to reduce palytoxin inhalation, if you get light headed/nauseous get outta there! don’t forget to do this OUTSIDE in a well ventilated area, preferably with a fan to help circulation
Yes was going to do it outside at some point on one rock it’s on the lip of the rock the other one that have loads may just bag and bin it save the hassle of trying to get them off and getting another rock from the shed

OP
OP
R

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically, I had tons of these in my tank for freaking years and NEVER WORE GLOVES. Had no idea of toxicity until about two years ago and removed them from the tank.
I have some stragglers on other rocks near coral best way to get these out?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some stragglers on other rocks near coral best way to get these out?
Carefully. Someone here had a device they made out of a metal straw attached to a hose that they used to scrape and siphon away the polyps as they scraped them off.

OP
OP
R

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carefully. Someone here had a device they made out of a metal straw attached to a hose that they used to scrape and siphon away the polyps as they scraped them off.
Could I put the rock in salt water in a bucket outside and scrape them off in there? As I don’t really want to do that in my tank or it will be me having to try get my other corals off and Chuck that rock too but it’s a huge rock

OP
OP
R

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all just names.
I know these as toxic green palys (but the toxic is just the name, not because it’s toxic).
How would I remove about 10 staggers from a rock would you reckon?
I have coral on the rock so don’t want to reall loose them

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them in the tank for years and no issues until I began to mess with them. Then the troubles began. Left alone, they are usually fine. I had them covering half of my 210g rocks.

Back