Are these limpets?

  • Thread starter Thread starter exnisstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,722
Reaction score
33,711
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking an ID. I think maybe limpets along the bottom of this coral but am not good with IDing snails. The largest is 5-6mm the smallest 2-3mm . They appear to be reproducing in my SPS tank so I want to be sure they are not a threat to acros. I haven't seen any on coral but want to play it safe and get a positive ID.

PXL_20250706_191901470.jpg


PXL_20250706_191901470~2.jpg
 
Without seeing the tops of them I’m going to say they are limpets. I offer find them in my filter sock. But nowhere near that size. They’re great scavengers just keep an eye on them around your corals
 
Looking an ID. I think maybe limpets along the bottom of this coral but am not good with IDing snails. The largest is 5-6mm the smallest 2-3mm . They appear to be reproducing in my SPS tank so I want to be sure they are not a threat to acros. I haven't seen any on coral but want to play it safe and get a positive ID.

PXL_20250706_191901470.jpg


PXL_20250706_191901470~2.jpg
I had about 5 or so of the fleshy limpets in my 150. They came in on the live rock. About a week ago I woke up to a milky tank. I counted over 30 limpets spawning.
I have some of the same type as yours in my system as well.
 
I had about 5 or so of the fleshy limpets in my 150. They came in on the live rock. About a week ago I woke up to a milky tank. I counted over 30 limpets spawning.
I have some of the same type as yours in my system as well.
I haven't seen any fleshy limpets that I know of but will keep an eye out. I've seen these hard shell ones in my tanks for years but usually just one or two when changing socks, never this many all together. I'm surprised because there really isn't visible algae in this tank except red coraline on the rocks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new