Are these pests on my coral?

prestoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about there’s things on my coral (frog spawned coral) it was very good but it then started closing up, I moved it in a lower light area and while look for potential irritants I thought and wondered about the things in the picture on it, are they any sort of pest? I’ve heard of vermetids and it made me worried about these. Sorry if the pictures aren’t great

IMG_3893.jpeg IMG_3894.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, vermetid snails. Clip them off, glue the tops. They reproduce quickly and you're going to hate them sooner than later.

Edit: unless my sleep deprevity is influencing my perception, might be something else. Any chance on a clear pic?

OP
OP
P

prestoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, vermetid snails. Clip them off, glue the tops. They reproduce quickly and you're going to hate them sooner than later.

Edit: unless my sleep deprevity is influencing my perception, might be something else. Any chance on a clear pic?
This is about as clear as I can get, if I zoom in more is gets really blurry

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3895.jpeg
    IMG_3895.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 66

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snail. I just won a battle against them. What I did was remove the coral an scrape it off the rinsed is with a squirt of fresh water with a 10cc. You’re gonna have to look for them at night when the lights are off with a flashlight. If you spot it then you gotta get it asap. They reproduce fast

OP
OP
P

prestoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After removing it .. inspect your tank for a month every other night. I don’t have any now
Ok, can they be anywhere? Like on rocks? I’m worried because I have noticed a small bump on him like one of those for about a solid 3 months? But foolishly thought it was not a pest, but a part of the coral.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The one i circled is probably a buddling from the hammer.
So an eye out for those. The other tubes are mostly vermetid snails. They can get everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 54

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a few bumble bee snails who love to eat them and that will help keep them in check. I had a ton and only used bumble bee snails and now I have to hunt to find one. Vermetid are filter feeders so if you broadcast feed that will feed them too.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a few bumble bee snails who love to eat them and that will help keep them in check. I had a ton and only used bumble bee snails and now I have to hunt to find one. Vermetid are filter feeders so if you broadcast feed that will feed them too.

people say bumblebee snails eat them, but there’s no science backing up that bumblebee snails actually eat them. So don’t go blow your wallet on a bunch of bumblebee snails. I’d try it for good measure tho.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, can they be anywhere? Like on rocks? I’m worried because I have noticed a small bump on him like one of those for about a solid 3 months? But foolishly thought it was not a pest, but a part of the coral.
Everywhere in your tank even your overflow box

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back