Are these reef safe?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2019
Messages
3,832
Reaction score
1,795
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see a bunch of these just curious what they’re and if they’re reef safe (saltwater or at least brackish)

F16115B3-4172-4E2D-9205-6B8DACC152AD.jpeg F5253F7D-A730-48D3-892E-B6F62BEFBDB1.jpeg 9851F420-26A5-4AE4-BAA4-398EEF25E5E4.jpeg
 
DEC29B6F-3500-4850-9B82-CBD6C0064189.jpeg
I have some Hawaiian periwinkles from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms and while I have no experience keeping them with coral, judging by their natural diet, I would assume they are reef safe. They are currently keeping my refugium clean, slowly rasping away at diatoms and Sea lettuce (Ulva), though both grow fast enough not to get totally consumed. Unfortunately, they have a habit of moving above the water line, so while they have not crawled above my sump's rim (about 4 inches of space between water line and rim, the rim also curves inward), they occasionally make their way outside of the refugium, into other chambers.
 
DEC29B6F-3500-4850-9B82-CBD6C0064189.jpeg
I have some Hawaiian periwinkles from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms and while I have no experience keeping them with coral, judging by their natural diet, I would assume they are reef safe. They are currently keeping my refugium clean, slowly rasping away at diatoms and Sea lettuce (Ulva), though both grow fast enough not to get totally consumed. Unfortunately, they have a habit of moving above the water line, so while they have not crawled above my sump's rim (about 4 inches of space between water line and rim, the rim also curves inward), they occasionally make their way outside of the refugium, into other chambers.
Nice to know!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new